Senior prom woes

My daughter' ssenior prom is next Saturday She is SO depressed that she has not been asked to go to it and I am getting worried because she is fiesty, rude, and depressed asking me what is wrong with her and why no one wants to go with her. She even makes crazy comments like "It's because I'm ugly" which is not true and in fac tshe is BEAUTIFUL and I am not just saying that. All of her friends have posted on facebook how they are going and it makes her feel worse. ANY advice?Anybody went through this.HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I had a date for my junior prom, and it pretty much sucked. I didn't want anything to do with it my senior year. Hopefully your daughter will find some friends to go with, or get asked by someone worth taking her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Go with her friends or pay a friend's son to go with her, if she'd rather not be alone. I wouldn't hide it from her but openly ask her if that's an option she might be interested in, and she could even make it into a fun speed dating event where she and her friends can hold a "casting" selection for their prom dates. None of the guys at my school were even worth a second look and most were slow to hit puberty. It was kind of depressing because a lot of girls at the school ended up going alone for that reason. She could make an appearance and then leave for after-party plans if she decides it's not fun. Most schools have an after-party to keep kids safe. The after-party was 10x more fun for me than our small prom. Plus, the after-party was combined with other high schools, so we got to meet other boys there ;-)))
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Some guys may also be too shy, so maybe encourage her to ask a guy out if she knows he has no date yet. If she were close to my area, I would have asked friends to help you out since some of them are well-known actors and musicians.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Can she ask her friends if anyone still doesn't have a date? Do you know anyone who has a teen son? Is it too late to buy tickets? I feel bad. My son asked someone months ago, but now they really don't talk anymore. I don't know if he will end up going with her. It really is a tough thing to go through.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I'm glad that I am not a teenager anymore! Still feel bad for her but I'm hoping this will be forgotten soon enough.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I'm sorry. She'll get through this (and so will you). I guess I lucked out because my dd and her friends all went as a big group both junior and senior year. They all had a blast and there was no stress of finding dates.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• i went to my senior prom with a gun friend (i also asked him) b/c my boyfriend was too old (by about 2 weeks haha). anyway, i went to prom as a junior cause i was dating a senior and it was WAY more fun with just friends!! there is bound to be a group of girls who dont have dates or are just going with guy friends, have her see if they want to do all the prom stuff together-dinner, pictures, maybe get a limo (theyre a lot cheaper if you split the cost!) and they will still have a blast!

and if not...well...high school is almost over! hang in there!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I didn't even go to my prom. Its a long story but my boyfriend(now husband) couldn't go. I really wish I would have just gone without him. I still could have had a good time with my friends.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I got dumped the week before prom, and our parents got on the phone with each other and MADE us go!!

I would have been totally happy to go with a group of friends instead!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Are any of her friends not going? 3 of my friends that didn't go got together that night and had their own party. Rented movies, stayed up all night, etc. They probably had a better time than I did!

Answer by missanc at 9:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2013