Health Question

I love sweets! Anything from cakes,pies,cookies and candy...I had a friend over early today and made coffee and bought doughnuts. I was on my second when she told me to be careful and how she is noticing that I am eating too many sweets and fears that I might become diabetic. Can one really become diabetic by eating too much sweets?

Annasofia

Asked by Annasofia at 10:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Health

• Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.
    The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Agree 100% with Crafty!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I agree with PMS 100%!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Well, I'll have to agree with M-avi then.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I agree with all of the above.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I am with the PP's
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I'll go ahead and agree with AF on this one
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 11:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Everyone in this question is correct.

Except for your friend. She's wrong. Dead wrong.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Diabetes is basically your pancreas pooping out (decreased insulin production) and/or insulin resistance from your tissues. Insulin is a hormone that sends the sugar that is in your blood from the food you eat into your cells instead. Having too high an amount of sugar in the blood (as with insufficient insulin or insulin resistance) is dangerous. The onset of diabetes is influenced by genetic factors and lifestyle. Having an excessive amount of fat tissue promotes insulin resistance (insulin will be less effective at moving sugar out of the blood). Also, eating a lot of foods that have a high glycemic index (cause a rapid rise in blood sugar), like sweets, can contribute to your pancreas pooping out, if you eat a lot of them all the time and are predisposed to diabetes.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 2:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2013