5 yr having trouble with overstimulation in class

My son 5 is in a pre-k program. He has always been more high energy and equisitive but sensitive to stimuli especially noise. The program is owned and ran by gymnastics company so they do a lot of physical activity along with all the preschool education. It is a great fit for him and he is doing great.

The issue is that his teacher has brought to my attention that he has trouble sitting still and keeping eye contact. He will hear and absorb everything she says but doesn't appear to. She is worried that when he moves into kindergarden the teacher may not "get" this about him. If he sees a toy or item out of place in class during a lead activity(such as circle time) he HAS to get up to put it away(he really has to), and he has had some problems with other kids because he thinks things should be done a certain way etc, but nothing to bad.

She thinks he seems to get overwhelmed with all the stuff happening in class and just over stimulated. He has always had issues with Sounds and Sensory and touch but nothing to disruptive.

My question, How can I prepare him for kindergarden and help him come up with coping skills he can use in class without disrupting the rest of the class?? Anyone deal with something similar.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You described my youngest to a tee! He's now 22.
    The teacher in his 3rd grade tried to convince me he had ADHD and suggested I take him in to see a Dr. My husband and I refused and when things would come up at school that the teachers felt were disrupting the class, I would just sit down with him privately and we'd discuss the concerns that were brought up.
    It took time to get him to focus, and he did exceptional if the class he was in interested him.
    Your son is very smart and needs motivation, something teachers don't understand. Don't worry, he'll learn and he'll grow up to be an amazing, smart young man!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• My oldest granddaughter is like this too. When we sent her to kindergarten, we were relatively naive as to how the school system worked. We found that you can request a teacher that is proficient at dealing with children who have various issues. Her Kindergarten teacher was terrible, swearing she had ADHD. We even took her to counseling. Counselor said she is just a normal child who had suffered a loss... she lost her dad the spring before Kindergarten and didn't know how to handle it.

Now we are very demanding of the type of teachers that both granddaughters get.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Some of what you describe sounds like MY son. He's now 9 1/2 and has been diagnosed with Asperger's Autism Spectrum and ADHD.

I don't know if there is a therapist that would see someone as young as your son, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Thanks everyone, I think the key is going to be to remain vigilant and an advocate for him. I am not going to medicate him.

Rosehawk: He does have some OCD tendencies but they don't negatively impact his life right now so I will just keep an eye on all of it.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• That's about all you can do right now. It took us all summer, last summer, to go through the diagnostic process. Before it started I had to call around to several different psychologist's offices before I found one that was accepting new patients AND would see my then 8 year old. MANY would not see someone so young.

One thing that's helping my so is to remind him, when we're out and about, that if he starts feeling like everything is too much (over stimulation) to let Mom/Dad know and we'd get him out wherever we were. I think that really helps him cope when we're out in public.

I wonder if the preschool would be willing to set up a quiet corner somewhere for him when he's starting to feel, or display that, he overwhelmed?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• They have one called space place and they also do peace time each day which is meditation. He is doing great right now, I'm more worried about next year at kindergarten.

We are working on him being able to recognize and vocalize when he is overwhelmed. I'm going to be trying to instill the ability for him to self meditate I guess, perhaps that would help at school. I will also be discussing it with whatever teachers he has next year.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2013