Were you or your child ever bullied by a teacher?

http://www.greatschools.org/parenting/bullying/5063-when-the-teacher-is-the-bully.gs?page=2

http://www.myparentime.com/articles/08/article702.shtml

I was for being left-handed by a witch of a teacher! Some people truly shouldn't be teachers!

Mermaid65

Asked by Mermaid65 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2013 in

• No I was not and so far my son has not had this happen to him.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I was by a couple... One used to call me out in front of the entire PE class.... He used to call us all by our last names, but for some reason, he always singled me out. I loathed that man. He'd come to church on Sunday and sit a few rows ahead of me... I'd be busy trying to hex him.... LOL!

Another, the music teacher, liked to pull our hair when we got something wrong.

Third Grade, I got paddled every single day of the year with a wooden paddle.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• yeah...i had an asshole teacher in 9th grade who belittled me for my faith in front of the class almost daily. he was a crappy teacher who had tenure for the DoD dependent schools so he was pretty much untouchable. luckily, my parents spent weeks dealing with it and i was taken out of his class after the first 9 weeks. my Biology grade went from a D- to a B+ when they switched me...he was an idiot.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I had a ninth grade PE teacher who taught an adapted class for kids with disabilities. He victimized me for the whole year, and nobody would back me up when I complained. The worst was when he told me to dive backwards off the diving board; I was terrified. He would pick me up by the ankles and hold me in the air, supposedly to get me used to the feeling of being upside down. To get me over my fear of the edges I couldn't see, he climbed onto a four foot high balance beam with me and then just kept crowding me so I had to walk backwards, facing him, and eventually step off the far end. When I finally froze on the diving board, he got up there and put one arm over my face and the other across my chest, trying to force me to go over backwards. I did the only thing I could think of; I bit down on his arm till I tasted blood. He gave up and stomped off, and I still fear diving boards and the feeling of going over backwards.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• That's terrible! There is research that says that the type of people attracted to the teaching profession tend to be narcissistic and control freaks. It's easy to victimize poor, helpless children. A lot of the people I've known that were teachers were like this. One teacher went into a full rage when we played pictionary with other friends at her house over 1 measely point even though she was already winning, and she would argue every single rule. Her husband had been thinking of divorce for a while. Yeah, I was bullied by a few teachers. One would pretend she never saw me raise my hand or hear me when I answered a question, though she would magically see/hear people next to me. It got so bad that other students next me would call her out on it, raise their hand for me so she can't say she didn't know. Another one was always drunk in general. We all complained but no one did anything.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I was. My third grade teacher was so mean! He actually called me stupid because I couldn't understand multiplication.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Yes.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I also had several that would take off points for no real specific reason just to assert their "expertise" over me. Even teachers have admitted that when you can't do anything else, you teach. It's so easy to be a teacher now with getting a teaching master's online in as little as a year. Most other master's degrees require at least 2 yrs.

I had a friend that somehow managed to become a teacher and her English was pretty bad. I think her husband did most of the work for her. She even admitted once, "I asked DH to write the paper for me, and you know what? He copied it from the Internet & got me in trouble! I can't believe he would cheat like that!" Oh the hypocrisy of cheaters talking about ethics!

I think if you've been bullied, you should become a teacher or principal to make sure no other kids go through that.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• That PE teacher always said when I grew up, I could come back and tell him he was wrong for the way he treated me if I still thought he was. I've many times toyed with the idea of looking him up and telling him I still think he was way out of line and an asshole besides.

If my kid ever comes to me complaining about a bully teacher, I'll take the time to get the full story. But you can bet your butt, if I hear anything even close to what happened to me--well, let's just say, either the teacher will be going to prison before it's all over, or I will, once the DNA evidence links me to the missing body.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• "I think if you've been bullied, you should become a teacher or principal to make sure no other kids go through that."

what do ya know...im currently in a 2 year graduate degree program for just that...and while i am a control freak (for myself not others) im far from narcissistic. i was drawn to teaching not because i cant do anything else, but b/c i love learning and want to pass that on to the students. also, the vast majority of other students in my program are not narcissistic control freaks, but want to make a difference in the lives of children. you must know a lot of shitty teachers to paint us with such broad strokes, but were not all the same.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2013