Learning to fly a kite?

My daughter met a little girl at the park yesterday who had a Barbie kite. My daugher got to fly it, and she was fascinated. Of course,now she wants a kite. They're fairly inexpensive at Target, but I don't have the first clue how to work one. Where would go to learn, or would I need to be able to see what I was doing? How did you all teach your kids to fly kites?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• (continued) you release the string gradually as the wind takes the kite just like the wind takes a sail. You learn to pull on the string to make the kite go up higher, it is a pull and loosen feeling. When the kite is firmly in the air, you can mainly hold on to the spool. Be very careful not to let go of the spool- you will lose your kite if you do. If there isn't any breeze that day, it may not work to get your kite up. I've found that it takes some breeze. Too windy and the kite gets tossed around too much. But a mild breezy day is good kite weather. So here is a summary. Tie a string that connects all 4 corners, and also a tail string that has a few light rag pieces on it, hold the kite up and run and let the string pull through your hands from the spool. Have fun!

Answer by Bmat at 10:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• You'll want to tie some tails on it- rags that you tie to hang off of a string that hangs down from the bottom corner- this helps stabilize it. Be sure that the string that you use to pull it is smooth- I made the bad mistake of using twine once- and my hands got all cut up. There should be a picture on the container or bag that the kite comes in to show you what it should look like, but for a starter kite you want a diamond shape with a knotted string at each corner (plus the tail at the bottom corner) that come together in the middle, and you attach your pulling string to that. Then let a few yards of your pulling string off of the spool of string, hold the spool in one hand, and the kite up over your head near the place that the corner strings come together. Run, and you'll feel the wind pulling at the kite like a sail. As you run, and hopefully have some breeze to help, the kite will pull away, and you release the string

Answer by Bmat at 10:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I've never had much luck w/ the whole kite flying thing. Maybe b/c we didn't have quality kites. IDK. So I will give ya a bump since I'm not much help on the subject. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• "Would I need to be able to see what I was doing?"

I'm not sure, to be honest. When I was teaching my boys how to fly a kite, I was constantly looking at it, and I taught them what to look for to know if it was going to take off or not. But...we've always had sight, so we rely on it. I would imagine that, if you've figured out how to do other things that many would think require sight, you might be able to figure out something with this.

In terms of learning, I just did a quick google of "how to fly a kite" or something like that and it found me a few different places that gave me guidelines in terms of what kind of wind we needed, and what to do. You strike me as pretty intelligent and adaptable, so maybe simple finding those guidelines would help you determine how or even if you can do it without sight.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• We learned as kids to fly kites in an open field so we use to go to the school by our home.
    I taught my son at the beach.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• You need to be in a fairly open place..... a park or field. Hold it at arm's length and hope a breeze starts to push on it. Then slowly let out the string and if the breeze is strong enough you do not have to move much. But most times when we have flown a kite we walk fast or run with it to make the breeze lift it faster. Enjoy!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2013