I think this is so sweet...I may get bashed by non-pet people but I don't really care

My "step son", my husband's St. Bernard, Bear, is a big beautiful boy and a loving teddy bear. I lay on him and cuddle with him, he sits in my lap on the couch, climbs in bed with me when my husband gets up for work. I fell in love with him even before I fell in love with my husband. Hubby jokes that, when he married me he lost his dog because Bear has attached himself to me (my husband's four legged "step son", my basset hound, couldn't stand him until after we had been married for about six months).

Since my eight month old daughter was born however, she has become his favorite human in the house. When I was pregnant, he laid on my belly and became very protective of me. Now that she is here, he sleeps under her crib, he stays by her side, he runs to stand in front of her whenever someone knocks on the door, and he never misses an opportunity to lick or nuzzle her. All of our dogs are devoted to her but it's him I'm talking about now.

I had her on a blanket yesterday, letting her scoot around with some toys while I watched TV. Bear was lying on the corner of the blanket so that he could be near my child. She crawled across the floor to him and pulled up, wrapping her arms around his neck. He reached up and wrapped his paw around her and kind of pulled her against his chest, wrapped both paws around her and, while her arms were still wrapped around him, she snuggled against him. Bear laid his head on her and she started singing "La lu. La Lu. La lu." ("Love you") He licked her a couple of times and she kissed his nose and laid her head on his leg.

It was just the sweetest thing, that tiny little baby and that big old dog hugging each other like that.

I know that some people freak out about babies around dogs (I hear "That's so unsanitary" and "What if he hurts her?" all the time) but I don't care. That is pure sweetness right there. I wish I had a camera. I normally wouldn't let her climb on him but he his clean and flea free and I will do nothing to discourage my dogs from bonding with my child. That bond and devotion may one day save her life, you never know. The bond between my niece, Bear, my two border collies, and my Aussie saved her from a vicious pit bull a few years ago (he went after my niece and the three female dogs jumped him and Bear ran him off) We have six big dogs that are all extremely devoted and protective of my child and I pity the idiot that tries to do her harm.

Cowgirl_Coyote

Asked by Cowgirl_Coyote at 5:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Pets

• Aww-that story actually brought a tear to my eye. That is so sweet. I grew up around dogs & we currently have a 14 y/o female lab & a 13 y/o female lab/sheppard mix. We've had them both since they were puppies. I know exactly what you mean about that special bond. I see it with our lab & my oldest son. You can just see the adoration in their eyes. There's nothing else like it! :) Thanks for sharing your story & next time, at least take a pic! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• That is a super sweet story!! love it!!!!

Answer by older at 7:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Love your story. When my mother was expecting me, my father brought home a colley (think Lassie) called Skippy. He slept under my pram. At night, he would find a way (my parents shut him into the living room when they went to bed) to be close to me, every morning they'd find him stretched out in front of my door. There was a level crossing (railway) at the end of our garden and beyond that a beach. Imagine the temptation for a toddler! Well, he'd wait until I put a foot on the fence before taking hold of my trousers and not letting go until my mother arrived. In the evenings, he'd stretch out in front of the fireplace. When I lay down beside him he'd put a large paw across my body to keep me there.

(Continued)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• My mother tells me that when we went to the park, the other young moms always wanted to know if she'd be bringing her dog ... because it saved them a lot of work and trouble when it was time to go home. My mother would just say "Skip - go get them" and he'd herd us up like sheep and bring us back. All in the most perfect calm ... I could go on for hours about him :)

Don't let anyone ever tell you that dogs should not be with children. There are dogs and there are dogs... and when you have a good one you KNOW!

Skippy died when I was 7. He as hit by a drunk driver (bastard). I still think fondly of him ...

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• It is so sweet. How precious that they have each other. Lucky dog, lucky baby.

Answer by Bmat at 10:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Oh, that is so, so wonderful! You have a wonderful pet, & your little girl is lucky for it.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Too cute
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I can picture it in my head. How sweet!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Very sweet. I'm not a huge personal fan of dog licks, but I would never do anything to discourage our dog from licking my kids.

It's a beautiful thing, the bond between a pet and their "child." We had it with our first dog who would guard our oldest when he was our baby. And with our Pyrenees now, he'd do anything to save his herd of 2 leggeds. He is one of the few dogs welcomed on the kids' school grounds because he loves kids so much.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• So cute.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2013