Wants to meet my kids??

So me and this guy Luke met through a mutual friend about 2 wks ago. We've been hanging out going on dates and so far everything is great! Luke and I both have our own children. I have 2 girls 5 and 17mnths and his son is 6. Well last night our date got cut short bc my sitter decided she wanted to go out herself to. So Luke mentioned that he wanted to meet my girls so that we could spend more time together? Which I'd love to spend more time with him but if he meets my girls and decides we will only b friends then my kids just got attached to someone for no reason! What r your thoughts??

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• At most, I'd do a play date at the park, keeping it very casual and very non-romantic. I would NOT involve the kids in your relationship (spend more time together), because as you said, you might decide you're better as friends, or stop seeing each other in any way altogether.

Being completely honest, though, you've only known him 2 weeks - I wouldn't even do the play date. I feel that's too soon to risk having him around your kids. I realize you met through a mutual friend, and he's probably a nice guy, but you just don't know that yet. I'd wait until I got to know him a bit better before I'd bring him around my kids in any way.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I would not introduce them yet.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• No way would I bring a guy around my kids that I've only known for 2 weeks. My minimum when I was single was dating for 6 months and knowing it was going to be serious. The only man my kids ever met was my now husband and I'm so glad. Having been a child of a single mom (my dad passed away), children are not stupid enough to believe a guy is only a friend simply because you don't kiss him. They pick up on things and I do think it will be hurtful for your kids to get attached to him (and his child) while you are dating and then the ties are severed when you stop.

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Too early to introduce to the kids
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I'd just have a play date with his & your kids. But I wouldn't go above and beyond to spend time together or be mushy in front of them. Be " friends"
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Actually that comment would make me very uncomfortable. You've only had one glitch with a babysitter. Wait loger.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• After 2 weeks, no way. You need to make sure that this is going somewhere for you and your children.

Kids get attached to people far more quickly, especially the 5 & 6 year olds. I know from being one of those kids. I'd get easily attached to one of mom's boyfriends and then he'd be gone and I'd feel abandoned all over again.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Go with your instincts & don't doubt them. They usually won't fail you. (It's way too soon- regardless of who else knows him- you really don't)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• No we wouldn't b mushy around the kids... But that's a good idea
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• 6 months.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2013