Strep vs mono

my youngest tested positive for strep in Feb, was given amoxicillan, broke out in a rash on day 8 of antibiotic.... tested positive for strep again a month later in March, was given keflex and so far is better.

my oldest tested positive for strep in March, was given amoxicillan broke out in a much more severe rash on day 6/7 of the antibiotic and now a month later is showing signs of strep again.

Is it likely that they may have mono instead of strep/with strep? I'm going to call the pedi today anyway, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and what the outcome was.

kryssie78

Asked by kryssie78 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Kids' Health

• You can google it. I'm sure you can find your answer on webmd. Com ... Good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I've been looking but getting mixed results. thought I would try here too
    kryssie78

Comment by kryssie78 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• mono with strep is far more likely than mono instead of strep if they are actually testing positive for strep!! Are they getting better (fever gone, etc) then getting sick again or are the symptoms sustained over a long duration? If the symptoms are not clearing up then mono is a possibility.... have the pedi test for it. It's a simple blood test for the Epstein-Barr virus, accompanied by an enlarged liver and/or spleen.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• My oldest son would get strep repeatedly. Plus, he would have an ear infection. His pediatrician recommended he go to an ENT. Turned out, he had to have his tonsils and adnoids removed because they were the size of an adults. He was 6 then. After that, the strep throat and ear infection went away.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• My dd had mono with strep about a year ago. They first found the strep so put her on amoxicillin, but the doc called me the next day and told me to stop the amoxicillin because labs showed mono too and she would get a rash if she stayed on it. She was given another antibiotic instead and felt much better in a few days. It sounds like it's very possible yours have mono as well, especially with the rash on amoxicillin.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• my daughter kept getting strep and had mono...
    could be
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I had mono. The obvious sign it was mono was swollen glands. Huge, painful swollen glands. My whole face looked puffy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2013