If you dragged your kids to church every week and they just can't stand going....

Would you really think that there would be a point when they'd say,"thanks ma for taking me every week against my will" or do you think that a church would be the LAST place they'd want to go as an adult?
Obviously they're not getting what you intended out of it.
I think this is turning the kids against religion

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I was dragged to Catholic Church every single Sunday. If my brother and I moved, squirmed, etc...we were spanked with a belt. I tried to take my kids as an adult, but hated every moment of it, as did they. The last straw came when a Nun made a big deal out of my daughter putting a piece of paper in a student's desk. She wanted my daughter to go in and publicly apologize to the student... For a freakin piece of paper? Notta. That was the end of the Catholic Church for us.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I can not name one kid who goes to church every single Sunday that's like it's great. I love it. They hate it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• fun, I loved going to church when I was a kid. Sunday school, Wed. Night service, Bible school, you name it and I was there, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I loved going to church as a kid and still do. I miss that I can't go because I have a sick kid. My sis hated going but she now takes her family too.

Answer by missanc at 10:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I was dragged every week and I do not go now.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I suppose it depends on how it's handled. We as parents force our kids to go to the Dr. & the Dentist too. Does that mean they won't continue going when the decision becomes their own? That would depend on how much they care about their well-being. (going to Church deals with your spiritual well-being)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• My husband was dragged to church every week and he has disdain for the church and his family for it.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I was bribed and made to go as I got older and did not want to go anymore- I still had to though as long as I lived in my parent's house. I am now an atheist who has not been in a church for anything but a wedding or funeral in over 20 yrs now.
    I hated that they made me go even though I no longer believed...I hate that they think I will surely end up in Hell for not going anymore

*I will say that not believing anymore is not just because of being forced to go- there were other reasons for that, but- it didn't help their cause either

I try to avoid the whole church/religion issue with them and have for years...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I think this is turning the kids against religion

^^ Bingo.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• i dont think children should be influenced in any way when it comes to religion, personally. educated about, yes of course. but i find the idea of forcing them to go to church against their will deplorable.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2013