Why argue online?

Here is a good question. What kind of justification does one get when they argue, insult, lie and sneak around and about people online? We are all here for advice and suggestions. Didnt anyone ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don;t say anything at all. Opinions are always nice to hear, whether I agree or not, but plain out insulting the person asking for advice and/or disrespecting their beliefs and their parenting skills is rude, immature and un-called for. Really, some people need to grow up. This is Cafe Mom, not Junior High. Anyone agree with me?

devinmendsen

Asked by devinmendsen at 9:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I totally understand what you mean. I just ignore it and be the bigger person. Although I admit I think I did tell one person to shove their opinion up their butt because it was insulting LOL
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Because people are insecure with themselves so in order to feel better about their lower self esteem they need to bash, trash, and try to make other moms feel less than they do. In a nut shell that is it. Sad. But IMO it is very true. I am getting bored of this site for this exact reason. I don't visit as often. If I want drama I can tune in to a soap opera. I look for stimulating discussions not lame pathetic women hashing it out over "facts" that are not even factual. Give me a break.
    Anonymous

• I don't know why ppl like to argue. Maybe they are frustrated in real life and have no outlet for it so they come online and let loose lol.

I'm not going to say I never argue because if I'm in a bad mood and read something that really pisses me off, I might post something that I shouldn't lol. I usually just keep my mouth shut or try to put things as politely as I can, but when I'm already pissy... forget it lol.

Most of my pissy posts are about religion, which is why I stay way from those usually.
    balance0702

Answer by balance0702 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Adults should be able to disagree without resorting to childish antics.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 11:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think that all inappropriate posts should be reported to help protect the quality and intent of this website. There are truly mothers out there that need help, not being bashed.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 12:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Because it makes them feel like a bigger person and the fact that they can hide behind the anon button, saying what they want without anyone knowing who they are. I think it's petty, but to each his own. If it makes them feel good, go for it. Doesn't bug me in the least. If I have something to say, I will. If something bugs me to the point that I won't be nice with my answer, I just skip on by and keep my mouth shut. Who am I to judge what someone else is doing?
    meetzycat

Answer by meetzycat at 1:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• HELL YEAH SISTER!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!! People on here are SOOOOO freakin rude!!! Whatever happened to the "golden rule"??? Do onto others as you would have others do onto you.......It's like we're at a soccer mom convention or something. TOTAL BS!
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Any time you have a site this large there is going to be "fighting". I've been a member of several different mom's boards in my time...this is one of the biggest and one of the worst. (I stay for some very dear friends) Add in hot, controversial topics and it's a recipe for disaster.

It's much easier and nicer on smaller more intimate boards. I've found it easier to develop true friendships on those types of boards.

Moderation here is also suspect. From what I have noticed, it's very biased. Better and unbiased moderation would help. I've reported posts where someone was being personally attacked and was told there was no violation of TOS. Whatever....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I agree adults should be able to disagree without the childish name calling. But I think some woman on here post questions to start drama because they'll post topics that have been done so many times before and they always lead to people arguing. JMO
    Anonymous