Where do babies come from?

My 5 year old son Cooper has finally asked us the question and demanded an answer. We also have an 8 month old son and when we first told Cooper he was going to be a big brother he asked where babies came from but didn't really care to get the answer. Well he asked my husband and I the other night at dinner and I am not sure what to tell him. I mean I know of many ways to beat around the bush but I always wanted to be honest with my kids about it and now I'm not so sure.
How did you tell your kids when they asked?

Jayde

Jayde2bys

Asked by Jayde2bys at 5:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my son asked where babies come from I told him the belly button but of course my in laws said to him I was wrong so I said to her then you tell him where they come from without trying to go into details that will not scary the crap out of him so if you not going to say anything mind your buiness.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Honesty is your best policy within his age range of course, going to find a book appropriate for his age is key....

Answer by older at 2:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• My five-year-old just asked the same question because one of the teachers at her preschool had a baby. She wanted to know why the teacher's tummy got big and then shrunk, and how the baby got in there. I didn't feel I was lying when I said God put the baby there so the woman could carry him and keep him warm and fed till he was big enough to come out, and then the teacher went to the hospital and the doctors helped the baby to be born. Now she wants a baby in her tummy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• It was a matter of building on what I already had explained about menstrual blood when she first noticed it. (I'd simply told her that it's normal, i.e., I'm not bleeding because I'm hurt/injured.) That was satisfying enough.
    Then later came the question of "Why" does it happen. And my answer that women release an egg every month, and every mature woman's body prepares itself to support a pregnancy each month, in case the egg that's released gets "fertilized." That's what the blood is for--to nourish the embryo in the beginning. And if it isn't needed, it gets shed.
    Much later came the question of "How" an egg gets fertilized, and I told her that it takes a "seed" from the man, called a sperm.
    It's funny but when I first opened this question & was starting to answer it, my 4 year old son actually came in the room & asked me how we could get another baby! I told him it takes something from a man & a woman to make a baby grow.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Yes! It's possible to answer honestly without making it "about sex." An egg gets fertilized, a baby grows inside the mother, and then is born.
    I bought two books to have for reference, but relied on talking for sharing info. One was the very detailed "A Child Is Born." The book "How Was I Born?" includes a "scientific" discussion (on the left hand pages) with photos of fetal development, along with a "family" story (on the right hand side) with a preschool girl & her older brother finding out that their family is going to have a new baby. The photos & family story are fairly frank without being exceptionally "graphic" (depending on your sensibilities.)
    With my preschooler I ignored the technical pages in favor of the story, but our talks covered the technical side. I explained that women menstruate when an egg wasn't fertilized (the blood wasn't needed), but if the egg gets fertilized (by a "seed" called a sperm) a baby grows.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• my 5 yr old asked me too.. thanks to her teacher who said babies come from eggs lol.. She didnt get the truth. shes too little. i told her the baby is in an egg in my belly. so of course where does the egg come from. i ate it...lol.. she was happy just knowing that. i have c sections so to her all babies get cut out when we go to the hospital
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• By 5, my oldest had 2 siblings, so of course asked those questions. When she saw a blurred out version of child birth on TLC, she got the notion that women pooped babies out of their tummies, and we cleared it up pretty much entirely at that point. IMO, at 5, they don't know it is sexual, they don't think of it as being sexual, and they're just curious. To me, answering honestly was easy and it satisfied their curiosity.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• All 5 year old are a ball of questions. But their attention spandis small. I would tell him he is to young to understand that . As me that when you are 10. The only thing I would tell him is babies come from a man and a women.

Answer by louise2 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Ya Cooper is very curious. He is a ball of questions, and this is the first time he has asked and actually wanted the answer. He asked us at dinner and I was like Cooper eat your dinner please mommy and daddy will talk to you about this later, he finished his dinner and said okay I ate now where do babies come from lol
    Jayde2bys

Comment by Jayde2bys (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Get some good books at the library. Plus don't use the word tummy. It is appropriate to use uterus even at this age. Kids get all messed up about food going into the tummy, etc.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2013