Does your church accept gay people into the congregation and if they do do they ever try to "cleanse" them of being gay?

I know there are gay people who attend my church, I've seen gay couples there, but I often wonder if they are ever approached by someone who thinks they can "cleanse" them of being gay. Does that happen in churches a lot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Religious Debate

• We don't ask at the door, so someone' sexual preferences are left as private business. I've known one or two gay women at our church, but their bedroom habits never came up as an issue. Nobody would "cleanse them" in the church I attend, since much about personal choices is left between each individual and God.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I'm not sure about the official position at the church where I hold membership (it's a Methodist church, and many Methodists tend to be more open minded, so that's something), or what the majority of our members would say, but I have seen a few on facebook (since I'm facebook friends with a handful, lol) speaking for equality, so I'd like to think that since there are at least some that if I were to take a poll there would be at least a good number of those who would be accepting and tolerant...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I would suspect that if a church were actively attempting this, gay members wouldn't be members for long. Like Bandgeek, I've seen the most accepting churches under the Methodist banner, but the Unitarians are also very embracing.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Off topic, but Mrs_Prissy made me think of it : My Methodist church is back in the town we used to live in (so I only go occasionally, when visiting family), and the way DH works and the place he is in his faith (was raised very fundamentalist and is taking a step back to find what HIS thoughts are, etc) and with our five year old, we haven't really been looking for a new church closer to home. But the UU group meets in the library every third Friday - I just learned this a few months ago - and this coming Friday I'm going to go for the first time (we've been out of town the other times), and I'm SO excited. The mention of the Unitarians got me all giddy again, lol ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• It's really a wonderful church to belong to, if you're in the faith. I'm not Christian but the people at the UU church I visited for a while were some of the most wonderful people I've ever met in my life.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I go to a Baptist church. We wouldn't turn them away, if we turned away all sinners nobody would be in the church, but we do believe having sex outside of marriage is a sin and gay marriage isn't allowed in our state. While people would approach them about not sinning, no more so than about any other obvious sin

Answer by missanc at 6:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• lol, well UU isn't necessarily Christian - the Unitarian Universalist Association accepts all types of faith. Some congregations can have a more distinct flavoring - Christian or Buddhist, etc - and some tend to rotate focus, having a Christian come one week and others other weeks, etc. Unless we're talking Unitarian Christians, which are a thing as well and ARE specifically Christian, haha. But I won't derail the OP's thread anymore. I'm just SOOOO excited to be going this week, especially seeing the topic is going to be a Christian pastor discussing inclusion for other faiths :D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Episcopal Church, absolutely gays are accepted and absolutely no "cleansing." The Episcopal Church was the first to consecrate an openly gay bishop.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• A church that tries to "cleanse" gays isn't very accepting now is it
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I went to a Calvary Church years ago about 4 times. 3 of those times, the minister spent the whole time talking about the sins of homosexuality. He was irate that the Gay Pride parade was going on.

I imagine gays would have been made very unwelcome visitors to the church.

I was so much happier never stepping foot back into the place.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2013