Does your church accept gay people into the congregation and if they do do they ever try to "cleanse" them of being gay?

I know there are gay people who attend my church, I've seen gay couples there, but I often wonder if they are ever approached by someone who thinks they can "cleanse" them of being gay. Does that happen in churches a lot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I am not sure, but if they do, then I am out
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 7:53 AM on May. 18, 2013

• My church would accept them but they are not allowed to do any work in the church because the bible does state it is a sin." Man shall not lay with man and woman shall not lay with woman." Our pastor does have sermons about homosexuality but not in a mean hell fire burning way. It doesnt matter what sin it is it is not for us to judge it is for God and him only to Judge!
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 8:16 PM on May. 5, 2013

• everyone is accepted but the person probably knows before they step in where they re going and why, like at the Kingdom Hall, everyone knows it is a place of Bible Education so if they are there they are interested in changing their lives
    live.the.life.

Answer by live.the.life. at 1:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• As long as they aren't having sex in the pews, the question isn't going to come up
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 12:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I do not have a church or congregation, do not need others to worship God, but I can tell you anyone who thinks they can cleanse the gay out of anyone does not have all their marbles.....

Answer by older at 5:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I attend a Metropolitan Community Church which was founded by a gay pastor so LGBT people would have a church they knew would accept them wholeheartedly, so yes, my church totally accepts gay people. I am not gay, but I have never felt so accepted by a congregation.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 6:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Oh and to answer the "cure" question, no, I don't think it would be offered.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Good question. I don't think it has ever been an issue at my synagogue. For the most part, you're not asked your sexual orientation at the door, and it's not really something that interferes with your religious obligation to pray, so I don't think it would be a problem.
    If an openly gay couple wanted to attend, I'm not sure what the policy would be. We do have a policy on interfaith marriage, we accept interfaith couples as long as there was a proper conversion or there's one in progress.
    But since we've never had a gay couple coming, it has never been addressed. I doubt it will ever happen, anyway. A Jewush gay couple would prefer to go to the one Reform synagogue we have here or maybe the Conservative one, but certainly not an Orthodox one.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• As more states are passing laws to ban "gay cures" as quackery, churches would be smart to discourage it even if they believe it, unless they have a ton of money lying around for the resulting lawsuits.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Yes but it could be propaganda Kristi.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2013