Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

My son got hurt on the job- anyone ever deal with worker's comp?

He reported it to his boss & the boss asked him if he wanted to go home. He didn't have him fill out any paperwork or suggest medical attention. After my son sat & rested for about 10 mins. he went back to work. This happened on Friday & his ankle is still sore & swollen. Don't think he broke it, but he could've sprained it or tore something. If he were to have it looked at & they ask how he did it, as soon as he says it happened at work, our health insurance company will go after his employer. Then what? Has anyone ever dealt with workers' comp?


Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

Level 48 (285,172 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • If he injured himself at work, his employer should have sent him immediately to the ER for x-rays. The employer fills out the appropriate paper work and sends it on to HR. Within a few days he should receive a packet from Workman's Comp or his company stating whether or not he is covered. It's an on the job injury and should have been dealt with immediately.
    If he goes back to work on an injured foot and makes it worst then shame on his company for allowing him back without first being seen by a Dr and receiving a note stating he can be released.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • I believe he'll need to go to his doctor and tell the billers that this is a WC visit. I'm not sure I'd have them bill your insurance.

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • (meaning that they will then get the billing information from his employer)

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • Even if they let him go, they still must cover medical bills for an injury that occurred during the course of his employment. The problem he's going to run into is having no paperwork. It's going to come down to his word against his boss's and if his boss is looking to save the company money rather than properly care for an employee's injury, he's going to lie and say, "nope, didn't happen, never had that conversation." If that happens, if he doesn't have any witnesses to it occurring, he's going to have a fight ahead of him and ultimately, probably won't get anything out of it.

    He needs to go in first thing tomorrow and tell them he wants medical attention. Hopefully his boss is a decent guy and won't try to deny that your son told him about his injury when it happened.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 8:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • Aw, I hope he feels better soon! Workman's Comp can be a pain in the butt to deal with.

    Answer by Ballad at 6:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • Then the company should take over from there. I fainted at work while pregnant and racked up an ambulance bill and short hospital stay. The stupid ambulance comany tried to bill me 3 times (they billed my company, my insurance, and sent me a bill for the whole amount). They only pain in the ass was getting my insurance company to recollect what they'd paid because my company had also already paid. But I didn't have any issue with workmans comp specifically.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • I broke my foot at work and was on workman's comp for 6 months.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • It doesn't matter how many days he's been there mrsmom. It's his place of employment that needs to handle this properly. I understand his fear but he really should insist to his employer that it get looked at. At least have documentation from his employer that this happened. If he's concerned about talking to his boss, he can always call HR with his claim.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • No.... he needs to file this as a WC claim. This is a simple case. It is in complex cases with multiple scenarios when work comp holds paying and insurance companies go after each other.
    He needs to notify his employer before going in so the person who works with his insurance can make sure it gets filed as work comp claim. The doctors office will ask how it happened and he will tell them work- it is then billed to work comp and he will be assigned a claim number. His personal insurance is not involved. Usually the work comp insurer will have someone call and verify what happened and check on his progeress.
    Your son should have been directed to fill out a work injury report- he did his part and told his supervisor. It was not his fault that they did not give him a form to fill out. Good Luck

    Answer by LeJane at 11:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

  • Once you report worker's comp, they can't fire him (in most states, check your state law). They can remove him from being able to work and pay him disability, but after a while, the disability money runs out. The company is insured for that reason. Their insurance company pays up to 2 years in most cases (check the employee handbook if there is one). If he paid for supplemental disability insurance, then that could extend his disability. Most companies automatically pay for short-term disability though. My husband was on worker's comp disability for 2 years. He will have to regularly send doctor's documentation to the company's insurance (not his medical one but the disability insurance one). HR will be a pain to work with but if you persist, it should be okay. Better that he doesn't worsen it by continuing to work while injured. Think long-term and let it heal.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 5:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2013