Bra Shopping for 11 yo. Y'all ain't gonna believe this $h1t!

Took eleven yo for her first real bra.
had to go to the kiddie section to select and then women's section to try on.
We picked a nice, modest, plain white one with a minimal amount of padding so her nipples won't show through.
She tried it on liked it but then discovered that when she lifted both arms above her head the damn thing rode up over the breast tissue.

So we talked about it and an employee overheard us. She began to explain bra fitting. Cutting me off mid sentence as I was saying, "We need to try a different style". She then asked what kind we were looking for. We told her, "Just like this one".

She then escorts us to the women's section and handed us a few bras LIKE THIS!

She tried to convince me it had minimum padding. Despite the fact that the label clearly stated, "Increases One Full Cup Size".

eye rolling

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 6:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• Does she work commission? I can't imagine trying to sell a bra like that to a child. Some of the bigger brands will carry basic soft cup bras that are good for starters. Warners and Maidenform both used to have some decent starter bras. They look sort of like this:

Maidenform® Seamless V-neck Jersey Bra – Girls 7-16

or like this

Maidenform 2-pk. Molded Triangle Bras

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• omg, ive seen some of the stuff they have in the little girls section these days. one, why do toddlers need boy shorts? two, why do they make sexy bras and panties with lace in the girls section?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• "omg, ive seen some of the stuff they have in the little girls section these days. one, why do toddlers need boy shorts? two, why do they make sexy bras and panties with lace in the girls section?"

So, I'm thinking people buy this stuff so the bigger question, in my mind, is why do MOM'S buy this stuff for their little girls? And are they the same people that then gripe about the early sexualization of our kids?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Let's just hope she wasn't a parent of an 11 year old girl and was plainly clueless.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• The lady must have thought I was blind when she handed me the push up trying to tell me it was "lightly padded". She said, "you can feel it..."

Oh please! So if you had been blind and felt the bra, you wouldn't have known the difference between "lightly padded" and "increases one full cup size"?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• For an 11 year old??!

WTF.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• What is it with fashions and those who sell them wanting little girls to grow up so fast?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• GROSS! Urine in the next stall!!

That bra is way too sexy for a little girl - the sales person obviously doesn't have a daughter of her own.. what a bonehead.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Stupid saleslady!

She must have thought you were born yesterday.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• That's just crazy. Kids would see the fancy embellishment on the outside and make fun of her. That stuff pushes through to tantalize people just like a nipple would if it could be seen. Maybe she should use the lined camis. I hate bras but have to wear something so I just wear the cami that has a soft bra sewn in.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2013