Would you allow your 14 yr old teenage daughter or son to have a gf or bf at this age?

Really is there an age ? at what age do you let your teenager start dating or at what point in their life do you allow them to start dating?

mrs.MOM34

Asked by mrs.MOM34 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I used to say no but per the advice here- how you gonna stop them. they are going to call someone GF/ BF at school no matter what I say.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• When this happens you give a little and monitor a lot, there is nothing in this world like the feeling of that first love, I would not deprive my daughter of the experience but I would make a lot of limits and supervision.

Answer by older at 7:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• yes i would. i know my parents couldnt stop me. thats not a fight im willing to go through. i wouldnt allow them to go anywhere alone and just bc of the way i am and i dont know what rules the other parents have my kids wouldnt be allowed to go over their bf or gfs house. but i would allow there over. kid would only be allowed in the living room.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Our children had friends of both sexes, but they entertained them in our home where we kept a very watchful eye on the happenings. We taught our children that dating was for the purpose of selecting a life-time marriage partner, and there was no need to look until such time as they were prepared to be married. Worked well for us. And our children really enjoyed their teen and early adult years!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• You can't really stop them- but you can monitor it and whatnot
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I had bf's when I was 14. So yes, I would allow my sons to have gf's if they are interested. It's part of socialization. Developing significant relationships with a person of the opposite sex. We will educate our kids on the dangers of sex and hopefully we will put the fear of god in our boys and they will choose to abstain.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 6:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• My 13 y/o son have a gf and i personally believe that its better to be there to guide him and know some bits (nosey mom) than try to stop him and for him to start keeping secrets and doing it behind you.I have a very good relationship with my children and im proud to say that we build trust and open communication to each other which is very important when having a teenage child.So all i can say is be there to guide them and not let them see you as the enemy.
    myciel

Answer by myciel at 8:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• No!

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I have some ten years not to worry about that, thank goodness. My thought on it, not yet having had to deal with it in reality, is that I wouldn't mind my daughter having friends who are boys, but I wouldn't let her go out somewhere alone with any of them. Maybe if a mixed group of friends all go see a movie or play video games, that might be okay. How that will work out in the real world, time will tell.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Probably. But their activities together would be monitored and limited.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2013