Pap re-check this week.... Do I worry to much?

I don't know if maybe I just worry to much, but it has me so stressed out that I'm taking it out on everyone, I'm getting sick, and so on....

They had to clip off a small spot on my cervix six months ago, they called said it was nothing, come back in six months for pap to re-check (I guess it is mandatory)... Cancer scares the crap out of me, and I am so scared to get a pap this week..

Anyone able to give me real experience to calm my nerves... I'm ready to call and cancel my appointment.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Health

• catching anything early is better than a too late diagnosis. i have been in your situation. the follow up showed nothing malignant.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Calling off the appointment would be a bad idea. You'd still have the same worry. I had a re-check years ago, and it turned out to be nothing. Like Feralxat said, finding something early is a way better alternative than finding out too late.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I guess if it wasn't anything the first time why do I need a second one.. :S
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I guess if it wasn't anything the first time why do I need a second one

because it may be benign the first time and malignant 6 months later
    if there is nothing there this time you should be good for 12 months
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I had this happen a few years ago. They found some precancer cells on my cervix, and after having the colposcopy they required I come back more often than the usual yearly for a while just to make sure. My doctor was vigilant towards catching anything, so I'm sure this is all it is. Better safe than sorry, and if caught early enough there are more treatment options worst case scenario.

As of now I'm fine, I had my last pap in November and while they didn't find anything unusual they wanted to see me 6 months later for a re-check, so I go next month for that.

Good luck.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• I had a recheck done this week. She said they just wanted to check.
    Rather an over-protective doctor than one that says "oh it's probably nothing" and things could be caught sooner.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2013