Can drinking water cause frequent bowel movements? TMI

A little past info: I've always had a problem with constipation.
Anyway, I started drinking water about 2 months ago and not long after I have on average 3 bowel movements a day and absolutely no problem with constipation. Sometimes even 4! TMI here...but it's really stinky all the time too. I know, gross, but the stink seems to be stronger now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Health

• My 3 year old loves water. She will drink water all the time if you let her, but she will have bowel movements outta this world. Some times she want even make it to the bath room and we have to make her stop drinking so much water.
    breezy2005

Answer by breezy2005 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Water will keep your stool soft and make it easier to pass. That is a good thing. As far as the odor being stronger, you are keeping your bowels cleaner by dispensing the stool faster than if you would if you were constipated. Being constipated for days on end is dangerous for your bowels, and smell wont be as strong because the stool is staying packed solid. (It's hard to explain). Keep drinking the water though....because it's healthier for you than being constipated all of the time.
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 9:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009