when do i switch from pullup to underwear?

i am potty training my 2.5 yr old son for about a month. he's doing great but has one accident daily. its very frustrating because i know he can do it.

mjmom0609

Asked by mjmom0609 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I haven't started potty training but at the daycare I worked at the teachers despised pullups ...they did not teach the toddlers how to be potty trained...in fact they made it worse. When I start I am going to go from diapers to underwear.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 9:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• pull-ups are no different from a diaper. as long as they are wearing a pull-up they know they can do their business and not have to go to the potty. to me pull-ups hold a child back from being potty trained.
    busymom_38001

Answer by busymom_38001 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We didn't use pullups EXCEPT at night. Dipes to underwear. My mom had iused the same method.

BUT...this was saved until summertime because it was much easier with fewer layers of clothes. She'd start the method in June...we were done before August.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i never used pullups, except for nighttime...pullups are just glorified diapers...switch him over NOW, and go to the store, let him pick out some special undies, and tell him hes not allowed to get them wet.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Once my kids showed they could make it to the potty a majority of the time they stopped wearing pull-ups during the day. My youngest is almost 3 and started potty training in November. She wore undies from the start then went to pull-ups for a week because she started having several accidents a day (which was upsetting to her). Then she went back to undies and only wears pull-ups during the day when she runs out of underwear (she has like 1 accident a day because the bathroom is upstairs and sometimes she can't make it). She wears them at night because she can't always get up to the bathroom in time.
    My middle 2 kids wore them at night until they were almost 7 and the other is 6 now and still wears them. They are bed wetters.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• thank you all for the help, i agree the pullups are really glorified dipes. it was such a mistake to put him in them. he has been in undies for 2 days now and has had his daily accident BUT he does not like it, so we will keep trying - thanks for all the support.
    mjmom0609

Answer by mjmom0609 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009