To all our vegetarian friends!

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Little hint from a kosher pal, if it has a kosher symbol and say "parve" or just has the symbol, you're guaranteed there's no animal product in it whatsoever.
    For example, a variety of Altoids with an OU symbol, it doesn't contain gelatin.
    I suggest downloading the OU or OK app and you can search for completely animal-free products.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• yeah gelatin. and this also concerns those who keep kosher/ avoid pork...

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Thanks! I did know most of this. I cannot remember the last time I touched any of these things. Also because of the keeping kosher thing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• For the record - rennet is used in the making of virtually all "real" cheeses (not cottage cheese). It's an enzyme complex that is produced by animal's stomachs (not just calves). So the vegetarian versions are made with microbial enzymes which are synthetically developed coagulants. Serious vegetarians know about rennet and either accept the fact or go for vegetarian cheeses. You can even find vegetarian parmesan ...

This is just pure scare-mongering. Any true vegetarian reads labels and most of the above is no secret ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• i knew about Worcestershire sauce, but the rest of those are news to me! but then im not a vegetarian anymore (havent been for a long time).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Now I don't want to eat any of them... and I'm not even a Vegetarian!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• After reading the ingredients, I was pretty grossed out myself m-avi, lol
    PMSMom10

Comment by PMSMom10 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Honestly Winter, I found it interesting. I was unaware of several of these products. But, I'm not a vegetarian either.
    PMSMom10

Comment by PMSMom10 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Thanks mom!
    PMSMom10

Comment by PMSMom10 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2013