Is it possible to have my ex give me a car and say he doesn't owe me for back child support anymore?

My ex owes me about $9000 in back child support. As I was picking my son up from his house today I told him how my car was such a piece of crap. He mentioned he has a car for sale for $10, 000 that was his uncles that had passed away. Is it possible to have him give me the car and not owe me any back child support? How would I even figure that with child support enforcement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• NO. Child support is handled through the courts. Besides you don't accept the car. He can't GIVE it to you if you don't want it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• That would be a question for child support enforcement. Call them up and ask them
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• From your question, i thought you wanted the car in leiu of back support. If so, get blue book to determine actual woryh and ask child support at your D As office if you can write off the back support in exchange for the car....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I think u need to speak with them especially if u handling it in court
    mrs.MOM34

Answer by mrs.MOM34 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• The car is in amazing shape. 30, 000 miles and very well taken care of. His dad wanted to buy it for himself but didn't have the money.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• This is one for your lawyer, I'd think.

Answer by Bmat at 12:16 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• He owes you $9,000.00 in back CS
    He has a car he says is worth $10,000.00.
    He is willing to "sell" you the car for the $9,000.00 he owes you.
    You want the car.
    Is this correct?
    If so, are you on any knind of aid?
    If the answer is yes and the have helped you while he has not been paying you, they are going to want that money back out of the ammount he is paying on the "loaned to you" portion.
    If no aid has been given it should be a quick matter with the CS people to get it crditted to his account as being paid.
    Basically he is giving you a check for $9,000.00 and you are buying a car for $9,000.00
    If they are ok with this, be sure he goes with you to your mechanic wth the car and pays to have it given a good inspection (you will need it for licenseing anywhat) before you seal the deal. Make sure the care is worth what he say it is and that it is in good condition. Then have hime go with you to the DMV to make sure,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Let CSE know you want to forgive the arrears. As long as you aren't on any kind of PA they have to do as you ask. Then take care of the transfer of the vehicle between the two of you. Just make sure you have the title in your name before you sign the papers with CSE., because once you sign them, his debt is legally gone and if he backs out of the deal you'll be out of luck.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:28 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• If both of you are happy with the deal and the car is inspected and deemed to be worth what your ex says it is, then you might be able to work something out with CS Enforcement. But be aware that if your ex got the car for free when his uncle passed away, he's basically going to be off the hook through no effort of his own. If that's okay with you because you need the car, then go forward, but make sure he knows you still expect future CS and not to have it get that far behind again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Oh I need a car BAD. my current car failed emissions, which means I couldn't renew my sticker which is expired. I used my tax return to try and fix my car, but it needs more maintenance now. I need this car SO bad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2013