do you think children should be able to make the final decision in custody cases?

I am cunducting a research and i was wondering what did you think about a child being able to make the final decision on who they want to live with during trial. a childs voice should be heard reagrding the parent of choice. Most children will pick the one they are more emotionally attached to not who makes the most money. The parent who has the gives the most time into the welfare of the child.

chrissie504

Asked by chrissie504 at 3:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depends on the age of the child. If they are very young, I think they should be heard, and asked why they want to live with one parent or the other. If the answers are things like "Dad is more fun, and he doesn't make me do my homework", that obviously isn't a good reason. If the answers are more serious, like "Mom's boyfriend makes me feel uncomfortable" or "Dad is drunk a lot", then yeah, someone should listen.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I believe children should always be heard when it comes to decisions about their future, if they're old enough to understand. I think someone should listen to them privately so they don't feel pressured to say what one or both of their parents want to hear. But I don't think they should be put in the position of making a final decision because they're not yet ready to look at the whole picture and decide what's best for them based on all the facts and not just their emotions or what they think they want.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• No child should be forced to choose between his/her parents. That is unfair to the child and there is no way they are mature enough to make that kind of decision. Depending on their age and maturity, I do think they should be given a voice in court to tell their side.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I think in cases when there is abuse allegations then yes. When I was in the sixth grade, I had a friend that lived with her drunk abusive mother. She begged to live with her father but the judge said that she was too young to make that decision for herself (they suspect that he had been paid off). DFACS could never prove abuse but it was pretty freaking obvious to me and I was only 11. In general, I think that the kids should stay with the mother unless the mother is unable (due to drugs, drink, abuse, ect) or unwilling to care for the child(ren). The judge should listen to the child, especially if it is an older child, but, in normal cases when there is no abuse or drugs involved, it should not be the only thing that makes the decision. And money should never determine custody.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 3:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Most parents don't even let their kids have the final decision on what to have for dinner, why would we put such an enormous decision on their shoulders?
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 4:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2013