Would you put name and number on a $500 phone

We have two boys - 16, 13. My husband wanted to put their name and family number on the back of the phone (under the otterbox that friend would not see) in the event that they lost their phone. My boys refuse saying it's embarassing, my husband is doing it in case they lose the phone...What would you do?

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 11:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I highly doubt anyone would return it... Why not put the number on the back of the battery cover?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I wouldn't.

If someone finds a $500 phone they aren't going to be returning it. If you're concerned about them being responsible and keeping track of their phone, get something cheaper.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• If a person was honest enough to return it, they'd dial "mom" or "Home" or some other contact in the phone and say "I found this phone, here's my number".
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I wouldn't, if someone honest finds the phone, they will open it up and see who has been called, I would put yourself in the contacts under Mom and Dad. I would say that if they lose the phone, then it is up to them to replace it.
    I just dropped my phone, and was able to get a refurbished one for about $200, that was cheaper than my insurance was going to charge me.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• well i wouldnt have bought teenagers a $500 phone to begin with. you do know you can get a $20 one and then if they lose it, its no big deal.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• It's not that it's a $500 phone, what I wanted to know was if the phone was lost, and the phone died...the number was just so that somebody would call presuming that you have a "chance"...
    madmueller

Comment by madmueller (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I lost my iphone on the ski slopes just 1 month after I got it as a christmas gift (this was 3 years ago). I kept calling and texting in hopes an honest person found it. Sure enough, someone finally picked it up off the slopes and called the number back from the "20 missed calls". We met up at the ski lodge and he returned it. WHEW!
    I'll tell you what, if an honest person finds the phone, they will also find a way to return it to it's rightful owner. If a dishonest person finds a phone, you are outta luck no matter how easy you make it to return the phone.

ATT has a service that if it's lost they can render the phone completely not useable. If it's not returned in a day I would activate that service so whoever found it won't be able to use it... EVER
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I used to manage a restaurant. We had phones turned in all the time. Everyone and their brother has an iPhone charger. When we found phones that were out of battery (under booths, behind tables etc) I would try to find someone with a compatible charger so I could look in the contacts. But many people these days "lock" their phone so you can't get into them.
    Honestly, I got my kids a cheaper phone to start out with so they could learn how to be responsible with it before they get iPhones next year.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• And it's not likely someone would take the cover off in hopes of finding a phone number or other identifying information. They would look inside the phone for that info - like the pp said, a tag like mom, dad, home, hubby, or another familial name. Or they'd go through the recent history and call anyone from that to get the phone's rightful owner's info
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• How about an ICL number? (In Case Lost)
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2013