Who should I use as references on a rental house application?

We are filling out an application for a rental house (we are not in the position to buy at this time, and we are fairly new to this area). It's a "generic" application the homeowner is using, and one of the questions asks us to list "Personal References" and then "Credit References" -- who should we put?!!? We've made friends/acquaintances since moving here for my hubby's job but haven't known anyone for longer than 6-7 months...the people who know us best live 1000 miles away.

And WHAT do we put for credit references!?!?!? We have checking/savings accounts both here and back where we lived before....but we haven't taken out any loans or anything from either place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

• The only credit reference I would list would be a prior landlord (assuming you were good tenants and paid on time).
    They can run your credit report if they wish to check your credit further.

For personal references, put the friends you've known for quite some time that live 1000 miles away.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Make sure whatever friend or family member you use as a personal reference won't mind you putting them down. My lovely 1/2 sister didn't ask me & now I'm getting calls from her creditors to "pass along the message". BS! That's not my debt & I resent those calls. I would thing the credit reference would come from your credit report. GL on your new home. Hope your landlord is a good one.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Your DH's Bosses # or Personnel # (Tell your DH to speak to them & let them know someone may be calling for a reference). For a Credit reference leave it blank then ask the person who you are supposed to give it to who they want for a credit reference.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Where do you live now? I would put them down, for a credit ref.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• We have our prior landlord listed as well as dh's boss on the first part of the application. Hmm. We also have a copy of our most recent credit check that we're going to offer him, so that he doesn't have to go through the pain/expense of running it if he doesn't want to (it's only a couple of months old, and nothing has really changed). We pay for everything in cash, have no outstanding loans, don't use credit cards. We do have good references with ALL our previous landlords (although we are related to half of them :0/ )
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• For a credit reference, I know my brother used his power company and water company when he bought his house because he didn't use credit cards.
    For personal references, they can call long distance, doesn't have to be local

Answer by missanc at 12:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Personal, just people you know, your boss if you have a good relationship ith him (give him a heads up first) if you do any charity work, that would be a good reference, pastorof your church if you have one, other friends you have met locally.

Your bank, I you have a "personal banker" his/her name
    Have you borrowed for a car?
    Phone and utility companies.
    If you have no credit cards state that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2013