Have you ever thrown seeds from a fruit or veggie purchased from the Grocery Store into your garden & grown anything?

If I throw blackberries that I bought at the store into my garden.....do you think I may grow a blackberry bush? Zone 7 here!

BTW, I threw hot pepper seeds from a spice container into one of my deck pots once to keep away the squirrels & hot peppers grew!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I often do that. My reasoning is that if you get something that is particularly tasty then the seeds are liable to produce good fruit/veg too. I do it mainly with squash, melons and tomatoes.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• My friend accidentally grew pumpkins in her compost pile, so yea it's a possibility!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• ILovemyPaulie I guess for me it's so normal to do that I'm surprised that more people don't. Our potatos are the "babie's" from last years garden that we let go to seed. The original ones were ones that I hadn't used up quick enough when we bought them from the store and they went to seed. Now we get so many "babies" that I always have plenty of seed potatos. Part of our apple trees came from seeds we got from apples at the store. The kids wanted to try growing their own trees. We got our original watermelon seeds from one bought at the store and the same goes for honey dew & cantelope. All we do is wash and then lay them to dry. Once dry we put them in a baggie until we're ready to plant. We no longer buy either of these seeds as we always have plenty from the fruit we buy during the winter.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I haven't done it with veggies or fruit, but I used to harvest the seeds from my sunflowers and cosmos and replant them. I started out with just a few plants, and by the time I moved from the house where I had room to garden, I had sunflowers all along the neighbor's wooden fence by the driveway and cosmos thriving on the opposite side of the house.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Yes.

Answer by louise2 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Yes
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I'm going to try that with lemon seeds
    Should be interesting

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Where do you think plants come from? They come from seeds which are in the veggie/fruit you buy in the garden.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• DH had bell peppers grow like that. but many foods are made to not do that. like pineapples. technically, all you have to do is plant the top of the pineapple fruit and you should get a new one...but if you buy it from the store it wont grow you a pineapple fruit. they've genetically engineered to keep it from happening.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• There are some seeds that sprout more easily and others that take more TLC or are better to buy a grafted plant.
    Lemons are one that are a little finicky. But I say try it!
    I've had tomatoes grow from a tomato slice that was thrown in the bushes from a sandwich. I've had a fig tree sprout from bird droppings. I've even had a citrus tree of some sort start to grow from who knows where... it was in a terrible place in the garden so I pulled it out. I've had a palm tree begin to grow in the crack between the sidewalk and a cement wall. The most recent is cilantro - one big tall cilantro plant that appeared from nowhere... maybe a coriander seed escaped from my kitchen!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2013