Have you ever said NO to your kids being in a wedding?

Someone I have only met twice just asked my daughter to be in her wedding...an out of town wedding. I was initially caught off guard and did not decline immediately but I really want to. She hasn't asked my daughter yet and I would like to tell her thanks but no thanks. Can I? Any advice on how to say it?

CAmomneedhelp

Asked by CAmomneedhelp at 1:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• Why would she want your child in a wedding after only meeting you twice? Weird.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• If you don't know them then say thanks but no thanks.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Tell them you have a family reunion/event on that day. You just checked your calendar & forgot!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• No, but my son's only been asked once and it's my aunt's wedding (he'll be the ring bearer). Who is this lady that asked to have your daughter? If she's marrying a family member, even though you've only met her twice I don't think it odd for your daughter to be a flower girl or whatever. It would depend on the circumstance, for me anyway.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• yes, we've said no. We had some distant cousins ask for our son to be in a wedding. we're not close to them, it was to be out of town, and i would mean taking off work, travel expenses and motel expenses. We just told them we could not get off work at that time to be able to allow our son to be in all the pre-wedding events (our son didn't want to do it either).

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Who is this lady? How do you know her?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• It's perfectly acceptable to say no, especially if there are expenses or travel inconveniences involved. Just thank the person who asked, say it's not going to work out for your family, and do it soon so she has time to make other plans.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• A dear friend of mine got married and asked my children to be in the wedding, I accepted then found out he was abusing her, I told her that they couldn't be in the wedding, and I wouldn't be going either, it ended our friendship, but I couldn't support what was going on.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Sounds like she just likes the idea of having a kid in her wedding, but doesn't know any other ones? Having only met you twice, it seems weird. AND since she only knows you twice, you should not hesitate to decline. Chances are it will mean money spent on your part, and that's something no one really needs!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2013