I think I have diverticulitis. Are you familiar with it or have it yourself?

I ate salad, corn & Ramen noodles last week & almost died in pain for 5 days. Now it's gone. My sister, Dad & Mom have it & now lucky me! The pain was almost like labor pains! Ouch! Now I have to stay away from salad, nuts & corn. Do you know anyone with it or do you have it?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Health

• I drink Metamucil daily too. It has a lot of fiber in it. Well corn and tomatoes/salads do not bother me. Nut never have either. But I stoped eating them because the doctor said to. I guess every one is different.

I did read on the internet( I googled) If you are having a bad attack to do a liquid diet.   And you should drink a lot of water helps.

Answer by louise2 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• My mother-in-law had it. It's actually caused by not enough fiber in the diet which caused the colon to have to work harder to push waste through. That results in tiny little lesions or pockets that form and trap seeds and the like and that are then irritated by the roughage that the body needs. So it becomes a vicious cycle. Somebody has developed a diet that can actually help the body to heal itself, but at this moment I can't remember what it was called or who developed it. But there is hope for it to be cured! You might look at Jordan Rubin's book. He had Crohn's disease and figured out how to beat it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Never heard of it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• My middle daughter had it , she had like 3 of those episodes, once landing in the hospital and put under strong pain killers....

Answer by older at 2:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• My mother and mother on law have it. I know onions bother both of them too.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I always thought that this disease was prevalent in the older folks and when my daughter who is in her early 30's got it, I was surprised....

Answer by older at 3:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I have it. I was told by my doctor to not eat nuts. Never was told not to eat corn or salads.

Answer by louise2 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• louise, corn is a small enough grain to get caught in those grooves in your colon, and salads usually have tomato and they have little tiny seeds that will do the same.....

Answer by older at 5:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I'm 45 & my whole family has it too. My Dad had it the worst. He took Metamucil daily but still had occasional attacks. My Sister has it so bad that she was hospitalized also she takes an antibiotic when she has an attack. I just got it for the first time last week. Now I have to watch what I eat too. The corn killed me the most. It is really like labor pains. Like someone is sticking a knife down there. Then it's like gas you cannot pass. I always eat a lot of veggies but maybe a combination of foods just set it off for me. Phew! Glad that's over for now. Thanks for the replies!

ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Thanks Louise!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2013