Is this discrimination??

My husband and I are moving and looking for a rental home.
So, we went to look at a house and decided to put in the application for it.
The landlord ran our credit and background check and everything. Everything went just fine.
We were ready to sign our lease. He asked for all members of the home to bring all of our birth certificates to prove our citizenship. This is a high rate area for illegal immigrants, so I totally understand why this is asked.
I wasn't born in the United States, however I am a United States Citizen. I have a Naturalization Certificate, my husband and my kids were born here.
So we brought his and our kids' birth certificates, and my naturalization certificate.
The landlord told us that my certificate is unacceptable and if I wasn't born in the States, then he won't rent to us.
I tried to explain how it works and he wouldn't have it.
It's coming to that time that we need to move in a few weeks and it's hard to find what we need in our price range.
So the question is, is this discrimination or no?

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 2:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yes, it's discrimination.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Yes it is
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Should I report this somewhere?
    leksismommy

Comment by leksismommy (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Yes. But they just did you a favor. Do you really want to rent from someone like that?!?!?

We had a potential future landlord ask for our son's recent progress reports from school and last semester's report card. We got the
    heck outta dodge on that one. We have a good kid with good grades, but to have a landlord that is that persnickety... no thank you!
    (we live in an affluent area - if it were chicago I might understand....)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Check online for your states Renter's Assistance numbers. Every state I've lived in has an organization that handles these types of matters for you, typically keeping an attorney on retention
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• You bet! report them to the better business bureau!!!!!

Answer by older at 2:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Thank you, I'm just still so confused, because we are all citizens, I just wasn't born here
    leksismommy

Comment by leksismommy (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• some people are very weird about things like that. Doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make the fact untrue.
    Sorry you had to deal with that. Focus on finding a new home... and in your spare time, report their butts to the Renter's Assistance office!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• It's definitely discrimination, part of the kneejerk backlash against immigrants, legal and illegal, in this country right now. (I know you are a citizen, but some people are too ignorant to reason things out.) Definitely report the incident, but know that nothing will be resolved in time to do you any good on finding a house in the next few weeks. Besides, you wouldn't want to rent from a moron landlord like that anyway. I hope you find a suitable place to live very soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2013