What would you do?! (Vent)

I called my old primary from when I was a "teen" (more like a kid) because I've had some pretty bad pain in my back that I have been neglecting for a while now...the receptionist was nice, said she would have to ask my old primary if she wants to take me back as a patient. I figured, fine, that's ok, why wouldn't she? so I went about my day, and I get a call back...The primary says no, reasoning: unpaid bill balance from patient...WRONG, I was discharged on March something 1999...I was 15 or 16 (depending on the month) so how would that even be possible?! I am an adult with my own insurance now...Wouldn't that be my parent's responsibility? I mean, whatever, she denied me, which is a serious inconvenience, because we only have two doctors within quite a driving distance, we have a pediatrician and then that office...I asked her to send a letter stating to me the reason and she said I would need to personally write the physician asking for that....I think there's a bunch of crap that I don't understand...Whatever it is, I now have no doctor to look at my back unless I drive two hours north to the closest city where there's 200,000 primaries...

(Yes, I have not seen a primary since I was 18, and my primary that was here between 16-18 retired)

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Health

• I would go make an appt anyways. You're under a new insurance and they can't hold a minor accountable for an unpaid balance. Have you married since? Maybe with a new last name they will not put two and two together,
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• No, I still have the same last name plus I guess from my name and birthdate they knew. But it's annoying cos I was a child and checking my year of birth would see, that would have put me as a freshman in high school lol.
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I would call and fight it. Inform them that you were a minor and weren't responsible for the balance and insurance. Keep fighting it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• How much is the balance? You could offer to pay it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I would also ask what the balance is & if you have the money then pay it. or pay it in installments. You are going to need a close Dr. for the future even.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Primary??? You mean Doctor?

Answer by louise2 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• So your parent did not pay the bill back then. Call your parents.

Answer by louise2 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• i have no idea, they wouldn't give me too much information. they seemed super shady, if it's not too much, id gladly pay it, or have my parents pay it...it all seems odd to me, my parents are ones to just have me seen then disappear...also, dnt most docs take upfront co pay/payments? i mean i know it was almost 14 yrs ago, but idk seems like she just didn't want yo take me as a new patient and my mother told me, she didnt much care for this doctor anyway. it's a pain.
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• yes primary, primary care doctor/physician.
    Cowbell88

• oops *arent ones to just have me seen then disappear.
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2013