What do I wear to a funeral?

service and celebration...

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 4:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• A black, hooded cloak that hides your face, with a huge scythe held in one bony hand. Keep pointing at random attendees in an ominous manner. Or if you don't want a jokey answer, keep the tones dark. I was 14 when my beloved great uncle died and I wore the best dress I had. We were living on welfare at the time and I didn't have many dresses to choose from. It was bright and flowery and I knew that, when he was alive, he liked bright sunny colors. I had worn it to honor him and I was cut to pieces by the other mourners at the funeral. How disrespectful! To wear bright colors to a funeral! It was like celebrating the untimely death of another person! Go to black. No other colors. Just black.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• A nice black dress, or pants with a jacket, dark.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Anything black will do...

Answer by older at 4:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Black is traditional, but any dark, somber colors are ok. My aunt wore a dark navy blue suit to my Grandmother's funeral.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I usually just wear a dress or slacks and a blouse, in black, gray, or even dark blue.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I have to go to one on Wednesday.
    Just wear something nice.
    No holes, no cleavage, no nasty ass crocs.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I wore a nice white tank top and jeans to my son's memorial service. Told everyone else to dress in jeans.

I bought a bright red lace top to wear to my MIL's funeral b/c her favorite color was red. Wore it with black jeans.

Western Tradition dictates black, however Eastern tradition dictates white.

Wear whatever you are comfortable in. What has the family said? Were you close to the deceased? What would they have wanted?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• What was the religion of the departed? If Christian, then it considered a "going home" celebration ... celebrating their life and the fact they are now with their God and Jesus.

Another thing about my MIL's funeral ... she wanted a Sunday service, not some depressing, weepy thing. There was singing, verses being read (I requested ECC 3:1-8) and an upbeat service. Her youngest daughter wore a tee and cargo like pants. Her oldest daughter wore purple. Her g-sons worse jeans and shirts (some tees, some button up).
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• modest dark clothing. Such as dress casual or a dress.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Just went to a funeral Tuesday. Saw everything from suits to jeans. My choice was to wear dark (black pants) and a nice (not flashy) top, my son wore a suit but that is his usual business attire.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 4:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2013