Would I Ever Stop Feeling Like This?

Back on March.24 late like around 10:30pm I came home after being out of town for a mouth from doing a play and when I got home I was pretty tired and a guy cousin of mine was looking after my 4 kids well my oldest would go to her dads aka my ex husbands place for the weekend and when I came home my cousin said to me it was someones birthday and I didn't know whos birthday it was first I thought he meant one of my friends kids birthday no its not who he meant now my oldest daughter was upstairs watching full house we have all the seasons of that show and I guess she heard my voice cause she came down and as soon as I saw her I knew it was her birthday she just turned 18 on feb.28th I got so busy with working on the play that I forgot all about her birthday and forgot all about her I did remember my other 3 kids just not her I did say sorry to her and I will make it up to her and I did we done things after school we had some mother and daughter time together and celebrate for birthday and I been feeling depressed ever since she did forgive me for it and I should be feeling better now but I still feel bad about forgetting all about her just makes me feel like a bad mother like a bad parent I would I ever stop feeling like this? You would think after she forgives me and she has and me making it up to her and i have done that I should feel better but I don't I still feel bad that I forgot all about her.

Sandy_Grease

Asked by Sandy_Grease at 4:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Health

• hey Sandy forget what partyGalanne says like if someone starts swearing like that forget them and i know your feeling bad that you forgot your kid yes maybe a little about forgetting the birthday but its more forgeting about her for a whole month hey i would feel bad too if i ever forgot any of my kids and im sure you will feel better soon if not maybe go on pills for depresson just go to a drug store and if nothing there works then go see your doctor about it. Hope feel better about this soon take care. Samantha T

hugs

S1992_Mama

Answer by S1992_Mama at 1:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Ok, that was really confusing especially without any punctuation and all the extra rambling. I am thinking the gist of it was you forgot your daughter's birthday.

She forgave you and you guys did celebrate, even if it was a little late. You have to move on now. She has. My dad has forgotten my birthday before, it wasn't the end of my world.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• She is 18 years old? She is old enough to understand people forget things. You said she forgave you. Stop beating yourself up.

Answer by louise2 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• You are human! just because you are a mom does not mean you have to be perfect, you had a project going on that kept you busy and it is very normal you would forget this and anything else. Daughter has understood this, and has forgiven you, this event will not happen again, because you will be aware it has happened already....move on and do not dwell on something that cannot be changed....

Answer by older at 4:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• If you told her you were sorry and asked her to forgive you, and she said she would, it's over, so you can and should stop even thinking about it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• tsk tsk

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• The guilt that is gnawing at you is unproductive and harmful. You have to let it go. Honestly, you taught your daughter something important, which is how to admit you made a mistake and apologize. She forgave you, now you need to teach her the next part of the lesson, which is about forgiving yourself and letting go of the past. You don't want her to learn that it's okay to beat herself up over small mistakes indefinitely.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I can't even read this rambling.
    All you needed to say was you forgot your kids birthday.
    Shit happens.
    Move on.
    Make it extra special next year.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2013