Shouldn't we stop paying daycare while my DH is not working?

My mom runs a daycare business and watches our daughter at our home. My DH was injured a month ago and has been out of work. the first few weeks i continued to pay her even though he as at home because he was injured, on his prescription which caused him to sleep alot and since he had surgery, he wasnt able to do much at all.

Well, it is now a month into his injury and he is still out of work for now due to the injury.

Daycare rules states we will still pay for daycare even if WE decide to not take her because it is her sole income. (As in if we took a vacation or she was sick or something)

The only time we WOULDNT pay for a day she normally would attend, is if the owner (my mom) needs to be closed.

Well,it is now a month into the injury and he will be out for at LEAST another month. (hopefully just 1 more month) We are relying solely on my income only now so we are cutting corners on things to be able to continue to pay our bills and not fall behind.

My DHis home now, off his prescription and is able to do things like normal somewhat. Our daughter spends majority of the time with him and lately, my mom has been telling her (if she isn't with him) to go upstairs or today, she had her take her lunch and eat it upstairs while my DH was up there.

I look at it as, if we are going to continue to pay you for daycare, she needs to be involved in daycare all day long and eating with them playing with them like normal.

I feel bad because this is part of her income, but at the same time, we can BARELY pay our bills right now as it is with one income and if my DH is at home why would we continue to pay for daycare...

If she is going to be told to go with her Dad, then we need to discontinue payment for daycare.

Is this unfair to bring up to my mom regarding stopping daycare for now?

Please give me input, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• Maybe you can work out a deal with her where you only pay a partial amount until he is back working with a steady income. You can even pay her back later. That way neither one of you is out the full amount.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• It is your own mother charging you for daycare? Wow, you would think she would at least cut you some slack.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I am also surprised your own mother is charging for day care, just wow! even if this is how she makes a living to me that is just wrong...

Answer by older at 5:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I do not know anything about day care rules. If you have a legal contract with her. But if I didn't need her to watch my child any more. She wouldn't. Especialy if she send your DD up to dad most of the day. When she is supose to be in the day care.

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Well Op, I will tell you why I think it is wrong...I know all families are different but in mine, we do for each other what we can without expecting anything in return, even less $ and this includes many a businesses involved here being used by the family... we don't screw each other, we help each other, and this i significant little problem you have should not in any way be a problem to a grandmother who has a bond with the family...

Answer by older at 6:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• It's her business though. I understand that, its her income. She is certified files on taxes as a small business.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I look at it is, I'd be paying daycare anywhere i went (while my DH and i are both working) and i enjoy and feel comfortable with the idea she is with someone i know.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Okay, aside from the fact that I pay her I really need input on if this is something i sohuld approach just some advice based on the rules we have with daycare.

It also states we do not have to given any notice of termination if we don't continue to take her.

I don't see how it is wrong, my inlaws did a daycare and charged also. It's a full daycare. there are a lot of kids, food is provided drinks are provided, nap time, and learning.
    If it is her business i woulndt expect to get anything free from it. If she had any other business, i wouldnt expect a free service.

I just don't want this to be something (if i end up talking to her) that causes a problem for when we DO need daycare again.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• That's what i was thinking also Anng.atlanta.

Pay half or something. I also dont want to screw her out of a big chunk of income for her but i don't want to be screwed either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• First question: Why is she running a daycare out of your home? If I were in your shoes, if the daycare was in my home, my childcare should be free... the fee you would pay to have your child cared for would be negated by the rent you should be charging your mom for the space she needs to run a proper daycare.
    If it were in HER home, I would terminate the daycare until DH went back to work. IF she decides not to take your DD back after that, I would right it off as her loss and find a new daycare.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2013