Getting ready for our trip...

My son and I leave on Wednesday for a month long trip to WA to visit my family. We are flying out of BWI. About now is when I start to stress a bit over packing and getting to the airport and now I have the added stress of the recent Boston bombing. Has anyone had to fly after an alarming event like this? What was it like? Suggestions? Pep talks? Anything helps.

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 7:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Travel

• I know it's hard, but try to not stress about the travel. I flew in and out of New York City every 2 weeks for several months, beginning the Sat. after 9/11. My grandmother had fallen and was in slow decline. It was definitely stressful, but I kept my eye on what I needed to do instead of what ifs.

Just don't take any liquids over 3 oz in your carry on, wear easy to slip off/on shoes and get there early just in case TSA is moving at a snail's pace.

As for packing, there is always laundry. And if you can, buy simple things like toothpaste, shampoo, soap…

Have fun!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• We flew to Disney 2 months after Sept. 11th. There was obvious added security, so you have to allow plenty of time to get thru it all. The one thing that made me feel comfortable & even secure, was the air marshalls on the flight with us. Nothing like having cops on board just in case. While we were in Disney, another plane crashed, but that was ruled mechanical. However, that made the flight home a bit more tense- esp. since my husb isn't a fan of flying to begin with! Take plenty of activity type stuff & airline approved snacks for your son, including gum for the ear popping. Have a safe trip & enjoy! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Have a safe and and fun trip
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Try to focus on your fun trip and not scary what-ifs that you have no control over.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Isn't life just a crap shoot anyway?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2013