I am an awful person...

I'm studying Music and Crisis and this week we are talking about music that came from the 9/11 events. As my professor showed us a video of Congress singing "God Bless America" and uniting I started thinking "We need another 9/11. Something that will unite us again." And then the Boston Marathon bombings happen. Now I feel awful for ever thinking it. But I wasn't wishing for people to die or get hurt. I just meant that there is so much division right now that it seems like the only way we can be united again is if a tragic event happens in America again...and then it did happen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• We will be united for like a year & it'll all go to hell again.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Unity due to a short term crisis is very short lived, so don't feel bad.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I don't know if you're old enough to really remember 9/11 in detail, OP, but it was hardly a shiny happy unity moment. Yeah, they all stood there and sang, and the next day were tearing each other to shreds over who gets the blame and who should've done what differently.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Oh I know, I was 19 when it happened. I think it's sad though that it takes a tragedy like this to unite people and then it's only short-lived.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• It never lasts long, the backbiting and blame game usually starts pretty shortly after. They do like to make you believe they are united though. Lots of photo ops.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I was going to say, the unity did not last very long.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• The thing you wish for is not a tragedy... it's all people uniting. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• As others have said, the unity was fleeting. It's too bad that a few moments of patriotic feelings are all that seem to come out of events such as these.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• seems there is some major tragedy every couple of months...I wouldn't worry about thinking that.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I don't think it is bad to wish for a less divided country.i don't know that this is something to unite over though. I think we can all agree that this event is horrific and cowardly, but I am guessing many opinions stray from that point on.

Obviously this didn't happen because you hoped for more unity. It happened because some coward wanted to hurt as many people as they could.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2013