Prayers for

Boston
Sandy Hook
Hurricane Sandy
Colorado
etc etc etc

When a tragedy happens and within minutes, social media is flooded with "prayers for" sentiments, how many are actually spending the rest of the day praying, and how many are posting it for the sake of appearances?
(added bonus if there's a Candy Crush Saga update within 2 minutes of the prayers for post)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• (added bonus if there's a Candy Crush Saga update within 2 minutes of the prayers for post)

Can't tell you how many times I have seen this.

I do think most of the people who post stuff like that are sincere in that their hearts go out to the victims and some probably do stop and say a prayer right then. I also think a lot of people post it because that is the thing to do. Just depends on the person.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• "(added bonus if there's a Candy Crush Saga update within 2 minutes of the prayers for post)

Can't tell you how many times I have seen this."

Ditto. Or Farmville requests
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• im almost certain of it when its a celeb's tweet or facebook update. actions, people.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I can't speak for everyone, but my heart does go out to the families of any tragedy. I do say a pray for all involved for healing and peace. I pray for the souls that lost their lives that they are in Heaven with Jesus. I then try to learn from it and make sure my family is protected. If it is not possible, I thank God for keeping us happy, safe and healthy.
    I can't imagine someone posting just for "looks" Even if we say a prayer and hurt for those involved it does not have to carry through forever.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Ditto. Or Farmville requests

or SongPop wins

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Like my cousin with her back to back Boston prayer meme followed by a post regarding putting the perfect outfit together? Hmmph...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Speaking from having experienced many tragedies as an EMT, I think people go back to what they feel comfort in. If it's thoughts, prayers, etc..... I think everyone means well, they mean what's in their hearts. Some choose prayer as their choice.... you can express a thought as a prayer, it doesn't necessarily have to mean you get down on your hands and knees.

Any who.... I think people do what they do because in their hearts, they want to be of some help or assistance, even if it's a simple word or two.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Just for the record, my post asking anyone who wanted to join me in a prayer was sincere. My heart is breaking for all those involved- the victims, their families & their friends & for all the 1st responders who have to deal with the aftermath of such a horrible tragedy. But to avoid being lumped into the category you are referring to, I decided it was best to close the post. You all don't need me or that post to do what's in your heart.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• My FB newsfeed is flooded with that. I didn't even put it in my status update. That doesn't make me less concerned. I'm also not a share pics and link kind of FB user.

I didn't know my SongPop wins were posted, yikes.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I don't generally post anywhere that I'm praying, but I am anyway. I don't think there's any harm in posting it if you feel the need to do so. Posting or not posting has nothing to do with the sincerity of a person's feelings. Sometimes when faced with something so senseless and frightening and so far beyond control, saying a prayer and telling others you are praying are the only things people can do.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2013