14 yo needs a job...

State laws say she can babysit but nothing else (except farm labor).

I am going to have her take this class through the Red Cross.

IF you were to hire a teen sitter, what else would YOU look for?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 10:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• When my kids were little, during the summer, we always used teen sitters. One sitter left my fair skinned youngest in the swimming pool for 6 hours straight. Needless to say, she was burnt badly.

Just common sense stuff.... watch the children at all times, always know who they are with, and where. Never leave them outside alone (unless it's okay with the mom), know who to call for what, and most of all emergency information.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Personality is important. Liking kids is helpful! Some kids don't like other kids so babysitting isn't a good idea but if she's into it then the Red Cross class makes the difference. I'd warn her about parents who don't want to pay or not paying what they say they will or dads or boyfriends who act inappropriately. I picked my daughter up one time from babysitting and the single mom had brought home a guy and proceeded to have sex in the living room in front of her!!!! Good thing something told me to go pick her up. So maybe you can help her screen people to sit for.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• She can also do stuff she gets paid cash for, like shoveling snow, raking leaves, walking dogs, or having a paper route in some cities.

The class would be a big plus for me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Look into her becoming a soccer referee. I started refereeing when I was 12.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• Here they offer that course in person and also have a cpr class that you can take in addition.

I have known several kids who have been soccer refs and I think they can do that here at about 14. What does your DD like to do. Babysitting can be on again off again unless you are hired full time and hen after school for one family.
    Why does she NEED a job. she is still awfully young?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

• I babysat when I was younger, & I took the Red Cross class- parents loved that. Have her make a point of asking the parents for the emergency contact numbers, & the dos & don'ts for the kids, rather than them telling her- makes a good impression that she takes the safety seriously. I also always offered a free afternoon of sitting while the parents were at the house, so the kids could get comfortable with me, & the parents could see how I interacted with them & know I was good.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I know its not really what you asked but, what about a paper route? Or working at the local newspaper stuffing papers? (inserting all the ads ,coupons, etc. into the paper)
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• For some of these jobs she will need working papers but here is a list of places that are allowed to hire people as young as 14.

• Amusement Ride Attendant

• Babysitter

• Bagger - Supermarket

• Baseball Umpire for Little League

• Basketball Referee for Juniors

• Busser

• Camp Counselor

• Camp Counselor in Training

• Car Wash Attendant

• Cashier - Supermarket

• Child Care Assistant

• Concession Worker

• Counselor In Training

• best of luck to her reaching her goal

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Along with what has been said I would want someone who knows to put the phone away when she is babysittng and is genuinely happy to play with my child..
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• If I were hiring ANY babysitter, I'd be looking for someone who actually likes kids, and who acts like they want to babysit, not like they're just looking for an easy paycheck - or paycheck, period. Obviously, I'd pay them, but if I felt like all they cared about was the money, and not actually doing the job, I wouldn't want to hire them. I'd want someone trained in CPR, and who knows some basic first aid, including how to tell when something is serious enough to call me to come home or call 911. Someone reliable and responsible - if I have someone I know goes out partying all time, and someone who is home studying most nights, I'm probably going to go with the homebody. Someone I can trust not to be on their phone the whole time - I don't mind if they have the occasional phone call or text, but I want someone who is mostly focused on my kids.

I guess it mostly boils down to someone responsible and reliable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2013