Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My 1 year old ate old spice soap. is she going to be ok?

Its been two hours since she did this and she seems ok. I'm jus worried and have never had to deal with anything like this before.

Answer Question
 
aganey23

Asked by aganey23 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Yes dear, when in doubt dial 1-800-222-1222 and have the soap ingredient list handy
    staciandababy

    Answer by staciandababy at 12:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

  • How much did the baby eat? It's probably not toxic, but it could very well give her the squirts. My mom made me eat about a third of a bar of soap once when I said something smart ass to her--actually chew it and swallow it--and it didn't do anything except make me buddy up to the toilet a lot that day.
    Ballad

    Answer by Ballad at 10:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

  • I'd just call poison control to be on the safe side. Most soap is pretty benign but I don't know what sort of ingredients that one has
    Mrs_Prissy

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

  • My son took a big bite of ivory soap when he was little- it came up (along with his dinner) about 10 minutes later.
    PartyGalAnne

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

  • How did the baby get at it?
    Did you call poison control?
    butterflyblue19

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

  • Well my husband is the one that found her with it. She had gotten into the bathroom while we were cooking dinner. The soap was still wet from my husbands shower and it had been on he side of the tube. She didn't get much and we got I guess what was all of it out of her mouth. She kept chewing her tongue and making funny faces. I've given her plenty to dink eat and chew on to help he drowl as much a possible. I didn't call poison control. Should I still? She seems fine right now. Just felt like maybe there was some advise out there that might help put my mind more at ease.
    aganey23

    Comment by aganey23 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

  • He poop is going to be off and she maybe hae some tummy upset but she should be fine. I can't imagine she ate all that much.
    Dardenella

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

  • You can call if it will ease your mind. But soap isn't usually toxic. She probably got nothing worse than a yucky taste in her mouth. She may get diarrhea after a while. Stuff happens.
    Ballad

    Answer by Ballad at 11:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

  • Think of this as a heads up too. I had a scare when DS was an baby and it sent me into the babyproofing mode pretty quickly and one of those hings is to alwys close off roms you are not in and lock up cabinets. Babies are very curious.
    Dardenella

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2013

  • Soap has lye in it. Lye can be deadly. So call Poison Control NOW!
    ILovemyPaulie

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN