What age can a child start charity works and what are the charity works suitable for my 13 y/o son?

My son is 13 y/o and i want him to use his time in some useful things like working in a charity and it will also help him in his future by seeing,meeting other people.

myciel

Asked by myciel at 8:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• There are many, just call the organization and ask what their age requirements are. My son has been volunteering at the preschool I work at, church, Alzheimer respite day care. There are MANY places to volunteer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• How about checking out your local animal shelter?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• What about your local hospital? I volunteered in the X-ray department the summer before I went to high school.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• My now 14 yo dd volunteered at the library last summer (they have to be 14) and can volunteer for 2 hours a time. She also volunteers in the summer for 3-4 hrs a day helping with kids in a conservation place for a week. I don't know how old they have to be for United Way. Our animal shelters in our area won't let kids volunteer. They have to be 18.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Are you gong to be doing this charitable work with him?
    We lead by example.
    Does he wish to do something charity oriented?
    What does he enjoy or want to do?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• What about Ronald McDonald house? I did that in middle school.
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 10:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• At 13 here in our town you can volunteer at the soup kitchens. My 15 yo goes and stamps books for the Christian Library International to send to the prisons. He has several friends who work for the humane society/animal rescue organizations.

Answer by missanc at 8:41 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Humane society? At that age I was volunteering at my humane society. What about local awareness programs. There's lots of them. I volunteer for Multiple Sclerosis programs since my mom has MS. There are lots of things he could do! You just have to look around and see what kind of stuff your town does and contact them. Age doesn't really matter much with the awareness programs. They would find something for him to do.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 8:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2013