What are some of your tips for organizing your home

i am trying to be more organized, please share some of your tips

dirtgirlfashion

Asked by dirtgirlfashion at 11:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I am getting better at just having what I need so there is a place for everything and everything goes in its place.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Lots of storage space! Or bins for stuff that is never used. My problem is, I overwhelm myself with everything at once. Its better do to things one room, one section at a time.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• That one, I can't really answer for you. Organization is something that everyone does differently. I have a bar/island that divides my kitchen and dining/living room. There are six drawers in it that I use for my office supplies, envelopes, tools, etc. That's basically it. Bills are on the top in a file basket.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Get rid of un-needed stuff. I have a rule. if it hasn;t been used in the last 6 months and it isn't something for a holiday/season, toss it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Put everything back where you got it. That way you don't have to spend time looking for it later. Not that my home is all that organized, but my things are.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• how do you store shoes on a budget
    dirtgirlfashion

Comment by dirtgirlfashion (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Don't buy a lot of useless junk at thrift and consignment stores. Seriously. Half of what most people buy they never end up using anyways and it just takes up space. If I don't wear something in longer than 3 months(seasonal clothing aside) it gets donated.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• i thought about putting them in the clear boxes but not sure if i will or not
    dirtgirlfashion

Comment by dirtgirlfashion (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• i agree, i am starting to clean as i go and it is working out so much better for me, i took this week to do some spring cleaning adn i feel so much better, opened the windows and let the house air out, ahhh fresh air
    dirtgirlfashion

Comment by dirtgirlfashion (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I am an organizational freak and my number one rule would be to DECLUTTER!

Go through every drawer, every closet, every storage area and get rid of anything and everything that you don't use, have never or rarely used, will not use in the future, is broken, is a duplicate of another item, etc. Try to do one area a week, so not to be overwhelmed. For every new thing you bring into the house, try to get rid of/donate at least two. Take the emotion out of it and be brutal about it ... people get sentimental over the stupidest things (I've worked as an organizer and though people say they want to get organized, they let their emotions rule and most part with nearly nothing).

Before you buy any bins, containers, cutesy boxes or anything, PURGE! Only spend $ on containers (if you find you ultimately truly need them) when you've gone through the process and know what you are planning to keep/store.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:31 PM on May. 7, 2013