Have you ever fixed a creaky staircase that was carpeted?

My Staircase is carpeted & some of the steps creak really loudly. I don't want to wake the baby at night! LOL! Seriously, I'm wondering if I can hammer thin nails through the carpet & if it would help? Any ideas?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yes, I have done this. You have to know where the support (stringer) is underneath.....usually in the middle.   Use panel nails which have rings that will grip the stringer. You will know quickly if you have hit the wood underneath because it is only about 1.5 inches wide.  If you miss then keep moving to one side or the other by 1/4 inches until you get to wood.  Move over enough so that you get to the center when you hammer .....so you grab enough of the wood. This takes more patience than if you were doing it in a carpeted room because there is less wood to catch under stairs. Make sure the nail has a smal enough head so that it goes through, and under, the carpet. Use a nail set to get the nail deep under the rug. You should be able "feel" when the nail clears the carpet.  This will secure the stair to the stringer and hopefully help with creaks.  GL!!

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I tried to post a link but it didn't work. You can Google panel nails and nail set if you are not familiar with them.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Let me know how it works out if you try it!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Thanks so much!! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I will! Thank you again! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2013