Overwhelmed with how to start

I'm trying to figure out a 14 month plan towards moving. We're currently renting, and I'm planning on continuing to rent after we move. The trouble comes in deciding where to move. I've lived in my current area for over 8 years now, and I know I need a better area because this one has really gone downhill since we first moved here. I'm just miserable here, but not financially able yet to move when this year's lease renews this June.

How do you pick a town you've never lived in? My main criteria really is that it be affordable, that I feel safe as a single woman, that it be within 30-45 minutes of where I am currently, and that the schools be suitable for our needs. I would like a house, but I don't think I'm being realistic in estimating the costs of things like water and garbage. Everything is included in my rent where I currently am, and I've never had to pay for these things.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I've lived on the Island for all my life so I know just about every town & how good they are. If I was unfamiliar with an area, then I would contact a Realtor. Tell them your concerns. Good Schools, Safe neighborhood, Driving distance to wherever. Go out & take rides during the day & night to see for yourself how the neighborhood is. Take it from there.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I agree with ilovepaulie. I would think about the factors that are most important to me and find an area that provides all those things.
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 1:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• A realtor is probably your best bet. Stay away from the ones who advertise as the top buyers/sellers (likely too high pressure).

We've moved several times. Explore the areas, look up crime stats and online reviews.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Look up reviews for school districts online too.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Have to start doing your home work. First start saving your money. Best to talk to a Realtor.

Answer by louise2 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2013