Can I refreeze bacon?

I usually cut the package in half before I freeze it, but that didn't happen. Can I thaw the bacon out enough to cut it and then refreeze what I don't want to use, or would I be better off cooking all of it?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I always have this problem. Once we open a package, we never eat the rest quick enough (I know, such a hard problem....no time to eat bacon lol!!) I need to find a convenient way to freeze it so I can just thaw out a few slices at a time. I'm thinking of layering it in wax paper then freezing in a ziplock bag.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I would cook all of it. Thawing and refreezing meat never seems to work out well for me. I would just cook it all, and find some way to use what you don't need for your current meal.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I would just go ahead and cook it all and then freeze the cooked portion you don't need. I do this for recipes that call for bacon. I don't think it would work too well if you were hoping to just have slices of bacon to eat later on though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• You can cut it in half frozen. It makes it easier.

Answer by louise2 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Never EVER refreeze something that has thawed! If you must freeze it you have to cook it first.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2013