Bookkeeping services

I have been given an opportunity to do some bookkeeping for a local business owner. I am a professional tax preparer so I have experience with tax code, but I don't have experience as a private bookkeeper...I have done it as part of another job which I was paid hourly. I have no idea what to quote as a fair price. Any suggestions?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 1:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Money & Work

• How would you be doing this? Is it going to be your full time job, or is it something that you're be doing just part time? If it's not a full time job, how many hours a week would you be devoting to it?

If it's a full time job, I'd probably negotiate for something close to what you made at the other job, whether you ask for hourly or a salary. If it's a part time gig, I guess I'd just decide how much you think that time is worth. I'd consider going with an hourly charge, so that if they have more work for you some weeks, you get more money, instead of a flat per week charge. I don't think I'd go lower than $10-15 an hour for it, though.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• It's going to vary depending on the area, but you should be able to look up a fair price online - I think it's salary.com to give you an idea for a fair price where you are.

Answer by missanc at 1:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• It would be part time. They have 10-15 employees and 3 stores. Their previous accountant was charging them $120 per store I am guessing this was per week, since it is weekly payroll. They were having to fax everything back and forth because they were not local and would often have to travel to meet with them.
    MChildressDem

Comment by MChildressDem (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2013