I'm Scared :(

Seriously scared for my health and my life. I think that I have an addiction to food. It has taken me almost 2 years to figure this out. My eating is out of control. I have no idea how to stop it. I need help and support but I have no idea where to go or who to talk to for help. I've realized that my eating has gotten so bad and to the point that I use money we don't have and I hide it from my husband. I try so hard to stop but I cave in and I feel so guilty, ashamed, disgusted and I truly hate myself for what I am doing to my body and what it is going to do to my family or what it is already doing to my family. But I don't know how to stop. I eat and I feel miserable and I'm consumed by the guilt and I cant help but think "Is this it? Is this the last meal I will ever eat? Is this the day that I have finally killed myself?" I want to stop. I don't want to kill myself. I need help.

I don't know what to do. I'm scared.

I didn't know exactly where to post this and you don't have to reply. I just needed to tell someone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think a therapist would be a good place to start.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• You are self-medicating yourself with food. Covering the deeper issues you have. Start with an appointment with your regular Dr. Tell him what you have told us, Print this out even. He will refer you to a mental health Dr. that can help you address the real issues you are dealing with. Hurry, don't wait, call your Dr. today.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Overeaters Anonymous may be helpful for you. I think you can even work with them online
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I agree, see your doctor and look for a local support group.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I am sorry you are going through this. I believe they have an Overeaters Anonymous group, and I would also consider counseling to determine your triggers. I am petite but I have similar struggles. A couple things I have tried - not bringing any money with me to work so I won't be tempted to spend anything, writing down everything I buy which makes me feel bad about how much I spent on fast food, bringing my lunch everyday, and telling others not to offer me any food. I really hope you can find some relief, and please message me if you ever need to talk. Hugs!
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 1:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I too believe I have an addiction to food. I posted that once here and the answer I got was "it's not that hard to put down the fork fatty". So I know how you feel. I don't hide the money I spend but I do find excuses to splurge with money I shouldn't spend. I agree seeing a therapist could help. I haven't, but I've learned to exercise my will power a bit more. I still eat way more junk that I should but I find "better" and much less frequent excuses to splurge.
    Anonymous

• A food addiction isn't about finding it hard to put down the fork, Anon. I'm sorry you got that reaction from people who don't know any better. Addiction of any kind is at least partly about self-medicating because of deeper issues. Guilt is unproductive and would be better channeled into positive moves like a doctor visit and finding a therapist, which will then be reasons for hope rather than self-loathing and self-accusation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Thank you all for your replies and support. This is still new to me and its hard accepting that I might need help. I just told my husband today about how I feel. I made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow morning and maybe she can point me in the right direction. Again thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2013