Do doctors think we're idiots?

i took my girls to the pediatrician today for their 3 & 4 year checkups (granted im about 4 months late but thats neither here nor there) and when i was speaking with the doctor, as he was checking over their immunization record he said "they're outdated for the flu shot so they'll need that today, yep, they'll have to get that today". before i had the chance to tell him no, the nurse told him they didnt have it in stock anyway. but he must've thought i was an imbecile who doesnt know that flu shots arent mandatory with the cdc guidelines. unless something has changed in the last year which i highly doubt. we aren't an anti-vax family and we dont delay shots or anything, but the flu vaccine is the one shot that we always opt out of. i was thankful they didn't have it because i didn't feel like justifying my reasons and i dont think i shouldve had to anyway.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Kids' Health

• That's extremely pushy of him.. My doc asks if we do flu shots.. we don't, and she doesn't argue about it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Just because the doctor thinks that it is something all parents should do and was more than likely talking to himself, at least at first does not mean he thinks you are an idiot or that you do not know that it is required.

Heck your yearly pap screaning isn't required by law but most doctors assume you will be getting one (scheduling one) because in their opinon and in popular opinion it is the smart thing to do.

Had they had it all you would have to have done is said no thank you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• i try to only take my kids for yearly appointments in the late spring to late summer so that i dont have to deal with the flu shot drama. we vax and per the APA schedule, but the flu shot is just not a necessity. and they are really pushy about it...gotta get that insurance money any way they can.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I opt my girls out of flu shots as well.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• He sounds like a jerk. I'ts pretty much a given that flu shots are not mandatory for kids. I don't give my kids the flu shot either. Also flu season ends in March (here) so what is the point? I guess it's all about the $$$$. I think i'd go look for another Pediatrician. If one of the kids gets really sick God forbid, he may order unneseccary tests.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I would have just informed him "We don't do the flu shot" End of discussion.

Answer by louise2 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• We do flu shots in our family. But that's neither here nor there--isn't it the end of the flu season now anyway?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Oh, and this is still a free country. You have the right to decide what treatements are and are not okay for yourself and your kids. Sometimes you have to push a little, but what you say goes. Knowing that to start with can make all the difference.

I know how pushy doctors can be with the flu shots. Years ago--yes, I've changed doctors since then--anurse came in, swabbed my arm, and jabbed a needle in before I had a chance to even ask her what she was doing. She said she'd given me a flu shot, and I told her she damn well should have asked me first if I wanted one, and then let me know before she rammed the needle in. She said flu shots were recommended for everybody so there was no reason to ask, and would I please sign a consent form for the shot? I said not too damnh likely, since I didn't consent to it. I would have consented, but since I wasn't asked, forget the form.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I would be switching doctors. My kids doctors can clearly see neither one of kids have had it and have never pushed it. My kids have been going to him for 3 years and I plan on keeping him till they are 18, he moves away. He's a young doctor so he wont retiree before they are 18.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• We just switched doctors not that long ago. Our previous doctor, we'd been seeing since my 9 1/2 year old was six months old. I LOVED her. I think she was mandated to ask, advice, ask again. If the patient still refused after being informed they couldn't push anymore. I remember every year at flu season I'd have to go through the same thing: refuse the flu shot 3 times at a visit. After that it wasn't pushed and we were never forced to get it if we didn't want it.

We haven't gone through any of that with our new doctor, yet.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2013