Is it a bad sign when yogurt goes watery?

for the kids i buy single serve yogurts but for myself i buy the big 24 oz tub because i like different flavors and sometimes i use the yogurt for other things. but normally i just grab a spoon and eat some right out of the container, since im the only one who consumes it in this house. the next time i go to eat some it'll be so watery looking, and when i stir it it gets better but it still isn't thick, it slides right off the spoon. the expiration date is weeks away and it still tastes okay. i just feel like the extreme watery-ness is a sign that the freshness is compromised. could it be because i eat it out of the container?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Food & Drink

• That water is really whey, the liquid portion of the milk. The whey is still good and can be used in cooking or can even be drank.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 2:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I just pour the watery part off into the sink. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't like it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• If it is not past the expiration date just stir it back in and eat it as it is simple seperation and it happens. If it has a foul odor of course you should toss it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I recommend pouring the whey off, since when you stir yogurt, it becomes thin and runny.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I've always just stirrd the watery part of the yogurt back into the thickerstuff and eaten it that way. If I turn up suddenly dead, I guess we'll know why. *Smile.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Not bad. I just stir it all up.

Answer by louise2 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I've never had that happen with yogurt (but then again I buy the single serve cups) but I've had that happen with sour cream. I either mix it back it or pour out. Not dead yet!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2013