My 1 month old isnt sleeping it takes me hours to put him to sleep and he wakes up every 15 min any suggestions

I swaddle him I breastfeed and dad bottle feeds during the night he gets 3 oz he can't eat more out spitting up will occur I make sure he is dry and no rashes I always wait for a burp b4 laying him down idk what I'm doing eying hr is my 1st bby :-(

marleni_sergio

Asked by marleni_sergio at 5:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you nursing or bottle feeding? How often?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Sounds like you might have a colicky baby, talk to the pediatrician for a change in milk if you are not breast feeding, this will eventually subside........hang in there...

Answer by older at 5:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• What are YOU eating that might be making him gassy?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• The nighttime bottles may actually be a problem. If you're present, you really should be nursing. Especially this early on; it's supply defense. But if you're going to use bottles, SLOW feeding. The bottle should be parallel to the floor. Slowest flow nipple. One ounce, burp. Next ounce, burp. FInal ounce, burp.

Three ounces *may* be too much for him at this point; he's still young.

And you may merely be experiencing the very normal "witching hour." Baby fusses a storm after a long day of stimulation. This passes, although you may have a lot of gray hair before it does!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Swaddle him, burp him often, don't wipe his backside a lot with wipes. Instead, wash him under the faucet with warm water & baby soap then pat dry & apply Desitin. Maybe he isn't eating (formula/breastmilk) enough? He is either hungry, gassy or has a sore backside. Get a sound machine to drown out loud sounds. Besides that, you haven't added enough info to be more specific.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Are you swaddling him?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I would recommend going to the library and checking out 'happiest Baby on the Block'. It gives you some helpful tips on soothing baby. You can buy the video, but at $20, checking it out is probably easier. I did buy it for a niece that is expecting though. Got it at B&N.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Sound and motion activated heartbeat bear that mimics the sound of your heart - best investment I ever made!

Answer by missanc at 7:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Use something like the sound machine mentioned above and have a certain routine at sleeptime that you use ALL the time. ....cuddling, singing, swaddling, music/sound machine, etc. Do it the same way everytime and the baby will learn to pic up on those cues and know it is time to sleep. You, Dad, and anyone who puts the baby down uses thesame routine. Get the baby to the groggy stage and then lay him down. He may fuss for awhile while you are all getting used to the routine. And by fussing I do not mean screaming.......just a little fussing after getting to the groggy stage. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I would first examine you diet and try to remove anything that could be common gas triggers- I also swear by mylicon

I would also take formula into mind. The formula you are using my not agree with his stomach. The 'wrong' formula can cause a lot of fussiness. Talk to your ped about your choice.

I would consider the type of bottle. a baby who is mostly breast fed requires a VERY slow flow and any baby is happier with a bottle that reduces the amount of air that an get in.

I also agree that if you are there you should be breast feeding if you plan to do so long term. Supply and demand can be touchy those first few months and for some women- the whole time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2013