I did something that has my family and friends flipping out on me. Sorry long

Today was a school field trip to SeaWorld that was over 2 hours away. The kids rode on the bus and parents followed behind.

I'm dropping my daughter off this morning in her classroom and was approached by her friend's mom, whom I've never met. I see our kids eating breakfast together and playing all the time. The mom introduces herself to me and asks if I'm going on the trip. I said yes.

Well, she tells me she was riding with a friend, but her friend got called to work and couldn't go. The mom was panicky about her dd going off so far without her, with so many kids, especially since the little girl is autistic and often wonders off.

She asked me if she could ride with me. I of course said yes. We had a great time. Got to know each other. Checked kids out afterwards and took them out for treats, etc. I had a blast to be honest. I get home and my family and a friend flipped out that I gave a stranger a ride so far and how dangerous and dumb it was.

So I'm curious...what would you have done?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh no, now you are going to be making biscuts with someone else, LOL! I am glad you made a new friend, but wish I lived closer to you!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Your family is paranoid! I would have done the same thing you did, kudos to you, ignore the family....

Answer by older at 6:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I think whoever told you that you were silly doesn't want you to have more friends, I mean her kid is in your kid's class for goodness sakes, she would have been found in an instant had she harmed you, and it wouldn't have crossed my mind to say no to her, LOL-
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• When we get so scared we can't do the decent thing if it's reasonably safe we are all lost! Good for you for being kind and your newfriend is a great reward. :)

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I would have done what you did. I suppose anything could happen, but I would have felt safe giving a ride to a mom with a kid in the same class. Besides, a stranger can sometimes be a friend you haven't met yet.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• She wasn't a total stranger.

Answer by louise2 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Right, well, it wasn't like you picked up a hitchhiker.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• If I've got the room (I drive a minivan so I've got the room), and we're going to the same place for the same reason, Get in!

Your family and friends are being ridiculous.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I probably would have done the same thing you did. Her child is in the same class. While she is sort of a stranger, she has as much to lose as you do.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I think I would have done and have done about the same with taking someone home. You have a new friend. Make sure you get a number next time so she can come over or meet up & your kids can continue play together.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2013