Time out

What is a good age to start using time outs? I have a 19 month old acting like she's two.

jkimber

Asked by jkimber at 6:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 18 month-2. 1 minute per year of age. So at 19 months 'time out' would be on minute.

1 warning then time out. Every time. It has to be consistent to 'work' and remember when you are first starting you may have to pick her up every 5 seconds to put her back in the spot you designate. They don't have to sit still but they have to stay in that area. and I personalty do not start the timer until they are calm.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Now. I never had a set time with my kids. They sat on the stairs or in their room u til they could share nicely/not hit/etc. so however long it took them to decide to behave. Then they had to apologize and then we would go back to playing. Consistency is key.

Answer by missanc at 6:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• When using it stay calm and matter of fact. And an apology is not always needed. Just reinforcing that what was done is not allowed is crucial.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2013