Wanting to keep everything?

My five-year-old has started this thing lately where she wants to keep everything. What made me think of it is that she just carefully folded a strawberry Starburst wrapper and hid it in a place "where only girls can find it, no boys" She wants to keep the backs off of stickers when she peels them off, the package inserts to toys, cards she gets in the mail, all sorts of stuff like that. Do other kids her age do this?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son(5) does this as well. Typically I will allow him to keep things(that are safe and not gross lol) for a while, maybe a few months or weeks. Then we will go through it all and I typicaly say something like "we can get rid of this now to make room for new stuff" and he agrees. It all has to stay picked up in a box or bins. He gets the satisfaction of keeping it and playing with it but still learns how to let it go in a timely manner and keep his space clean.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• mine have tried to save garbage- but that just ain't gonna fly in this house.
    seriously- nip that in the bud now or you'll be plowing through that stuff on an episode of hoarders
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I don't think my boys have ever been quite that bad, but they do tend to want to save stuff that doesn't need to be saved. Broken toys that "can be fixed" or circuit boards out of old, nonworking electronics, stuff like that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• My oldest does this it drives me nuts. After Christmas she brought someones Christmas tree home and wanted to keep it in our yard, she once tried to save bottle caps from my dhs beer, and Barbie packaging for backgrounds to play with. She's bad but I haven't been letting her keep any garbage at all.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 6:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• You just described my daughter to a T.

I'll find a stack of 15 pages of her "art" (one little scribble in one color about an inch long somewhere on the page). She hasn't touched them in MONTHS, and throws a fit if I try to get rid of them. They're suddenly her favoritest thing in the whole world.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• My grandchild does this! Mom doesn't care as long as all of it stays in her room in a set of containers.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Yeah, DS went through this for a while. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't fun either. He wanted to keep the weirdest things. I let him keep a few things, but mostly I made him get rid of them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2013